Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RheaS RheaS is offline

Default Can't see text in Word; Can't use mouse

Using Windows XP machine with service pack 2

I have two users that can't open their word 2003 as normal. From one day to
the next it stopped working. They can't see the text if they open their
document directly from where ever it is, but if they open word first then
browse to the document it will open and they can see their text, but then
something strange will happen, now they cant use their mouse in that
document, therefore they cannot cut and paste. I realize they could use
keystrokes to select and then cut/paste, but that's only a stop gap measure.

I have tried:
Uninstalled most recent updates
reinstalling 2003 with all service packs
reinstalling XP old version
Installing Office 2007
reg cleaner
scanned for spyware and viruses

Any help would be appreaciated - Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Rhea:

Eeeewwww... This is not going to be easy.

I suspect that what you had was a conflict between "versions" of Outlook,
both of which use Word as their email editor.

If you install a beta version of Office 2007, then try to remove it and
install Office 2003 you are likely to get some serious problems that may
require you to rebuild the machine from scratch.

It is NOT a good idea to run RegCleaner on a Windows XP SP2 box: it usually
causes more trouble than it's worth. And depending on the spyware search
you used, that can cause problems and contentions. Microsoft Windows
Defender seems safe enough, but SpyBot definitely causes problems if you
install TeaTimer.

We could work for a week and not find this now. I think your quickest
recovery would be to back the user's data off those machines and then Format
the C: drive.

Sorry...

On 17/1/07 9:11 AM, in article
, "RheaS"
wrote:

Using Windows XP machine with service pack 2

I have two users that can't open their word 2003 as normal. From one day to
the next it stopped working. They can't see the text if they open their
document directly from where ever it is, but if they open word first then
browse to the document it will open and they can see their text, but then
something strange will happen, now they cant use their mouse in that
document, therefore they cannot cut and paste. I realize they could use
keystrokes to select and then cut/paste, but that's only a stop gap measure.

I have tried:
Uninstalled most recent updates
reinstalling 2003 with all service packs
reinstalling XP old version
Installing Office 2007
reg cleaner
scanned for spyware and viruses

Any help would be appreaciated - Thanks

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410