Default Single Toc Item from Two Heading Lines

Hello,
I have my chapter headings formatted with Heading 1 style as follows
Chapter One
Title of Chapter One
Chpater Two
Title of Chapter Two

All of these are of Heading 1 style. The problem is that when I generate a
TOC, I naturally get each on a line by itself. How can I get a TOC like this:

Chapter One: Title of Chapter One 4
Chapter Two: Title of Chapter Two 38

Any trick that I can use?

You could use a line break at the end of "Chapter One" instead of a
paragraph break, but that would not take care of the colon. The solution I
prefer is to use the heading style for the title only (use a Chapter Number
style for the number), then add numbering to TOC 1 style, including the
colon in the number format.

" Majhoul wrote
in message ...
Hello,
I have my chapter headings formatted with Heading 1 style as follows
Chapter One
Title of Chapter One
Chpater Two
Title of Chapter Two

All of these are of Heading 1 style. The problem is that when I generate a
TOC, I naturally get each on a line by itself. How can I get a TOC like

this:

Chapter One: Title of Chapter One 4
Chapter Two: Title of Chapter Two 38

Any trick that I can use?

Majhoul El-Shoubasi

hello Suzanne,
let me thank you for the great tutorials you have on your website. I
benefitted from them immensely. I read your solution to the other way of the
problem which is uses the hidden paragraph mark or hidden style.

The problem is that I can't use numbering. In fact, I simplified the problem
in my first post. This is a document about "Staff Rules" and it includes
chapters and in each several rules. I can number the chapters as you suggest
but cannot use autonumbering for the rules. What I wanted is to make a nice
style that looks like this:

Chapter I -----This has a style
Chapter One Title -----Different Style (I can follow your suggestion
here)

Rule 101.1 ------A style that has a border below
Rule 101.1 Title ------Different style here
..
..
..
But in the table of content both should be on the same line.

Thanks for your time Suzanne

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

It's possible you're confusing two different issues (two styles on the same
line as opposed to one or two styles on two lines), but it seems to me that
if you set up the numbering for your TOC the same as for the headings
themselves, you would get the desired results. That is, is you've used
outline numbering for the chapters and the rules, you should be able to
replicate that outline numbering for the TOC entries.

"Majhoul El-Shoubasi" wrote in
message ...
[...]

.
.
.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You could use a line break at the end of "Chapter One" instead of a
paragraph break, but that would not take care of the colon. The solution

prefer is to use the heading style for the title only (use a Chapter

Number
style for the number), then add numbering to TOC 1 style, including the
colon in the number format.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.