kaye123 kaye123 is offline
Junior Member

Default Quirky probs with Quick parts, footnotes/citations

I really need help as just can’t keep using trial and error and I am battling against a deadline. I am writing a book that has spanned several Word Versions. I now need to set it up in word 2010 and have some problems. I am using footnotes for each new chapter. Endnotes are not appropriate for this type of book. I have a resource “How to write a book in word”, but it misses out a lot of quick steps and it is for another discipline. My book can be likened to a thesis in history or the social sciences . I didn’t want to use report format numbering each section in the chapter - although I may have to.
.
My writing style is to add my references after the text (where the footnote should be) and highlight it and add footnotes after I have completed each chapter. The trouble is these references are not as correct as those that were redone in the automated bibliography (which is consistent and correct) Primarily as I am still researching and finding gaps and need to cull.

These are my problems. A referral to the best resource will assist as I have tried several, and it will be appreciated. I have broken this up into three questions. Even if you can answer one this would help.

1) I set up bibliography with what I have used so far, thinking I could use it as my first long citation in footnotes - using Chicago 15th edition. Previously everything was done manually. (had to pay someone to set this up ) Now I can’t use this automated system for my first long citation in footnotes (or at least I can’t do it) Do I have to print and then copy and paste into footnote?

2) I need an easier resource to show me how to use sentences in my footnotes, so they are blocked and don’t continue under the footnote number. I think I know how to set footnotes so they don’t end up on another page.

3. Quick parts: I tried to use quick parts for my most used (ongoing) references, ie newspapers etc. so I can continue to put them in the text for later insertion into footnotes. However I can’t get them to work as auto text. The screen prints I followed don’t make this clear so I wasted all my time and need to rectify it. Resources didn't show all the fields and how it should be set up esp for my usage. I have done this three times and still can’t get it to work. Maybe there is an easier way? (I have set up styles)

I hope someone who has experience these problems in the past can direct me to a thread or a relevant resource - please? Trouble is I can’t find keyword to use that would lead me to a thread.

Last edited by kaye123 : March 14th 12 at 09:18 AM Reason: JUST FOUND ANSWER IN THREAD 94173. IT IS 2007 BUT MAY BE WHAT i WANT.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I don't see a question here. What exactly are you trying to do? What result
do you expect? What do you get instead? In other words, what are you having
a problem with?

http://word.mvps.org

"kaye123" wrote in message

I really need help as just can’t keep using trial and error and I am
battling against a deadline. I am writing a book that has spanned
several Word Versions. I now need to set it up in word 2010 and have
some problems. I am using footnotes for each new chapter. Endnotes are
not appropriate for this type of book. I have a resource “How to
write a book in word”, but it misses out a lot of quick steps and it is
for another discipline. My book can be likened to a thesis in history or
the social sciences . I didn’t want to use report format numbering each
section in the chapter - although I may have to.

kaye123 kaye123 is offline
Junior Member

I thought I mayde this clear

Quick Parts Paul Microsoft Word Help 1 July 7th 09 11:18 AM
quick parts-I think! Ray New Users 1 June 7th 09 03:06 PM
How can I create Quick parts LindaBee New Users 1 March 5th 08 12:42 PM
Quick Parts Vicky Microsoft Word Help 3 November 9th 07 09:36 PM
Quick parts MADS New Users 1 July 24th 06 11:55 AM