Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
denilynn denilynn is offline

Default Table of Contents Setup

How do I set up a table of contents based on captions or sections?
--
Thanks in advance for your time!
denilynn
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

You don't mention the version of Word you are using.
The following is for 2003 but other versions should be close to this.
To get a Table of Figures or List of Tables:
Insert, Reference, Index and Tables, Table of Figures tab, at the bottom
there is a Caption Label pulldown list, choose which one you want, then OK.
This will produce a "Table of Contents" based on the caption type selected.

Also see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm for further
information on how to get a TOC to work for you.
Hope this helps
DeanH