#1   Report Post  

Default basic mail merge questions

Word 97-2003 was installed on my PC at work a few months ago. I have found the mail merge program to be far less user-friendly than the older Word mail merges. I have a bunch of mail merges that I use for different sets of addresses for envelopes and letters, depending on where the mailings are going. I also use the mail merges for reference, such as if I need to look up just one person's address.
These are my questions about Word 97-2003.
1. Is it possible to print the chart itself, rather than the directory? That way I can easily see if something needs to be retyped or added.
2. I know how to sort the different columns, but what if I want to cut and paste so that the list is somewhat out of order? For instance, what if I want to alphabetize the list, and yet have someone else's name at the top (such as the boss's boss)?
3. Is it possible to do a "Search and Replace"? For example, what if I want to change everyone's "St." to "Street"?
  #2   Report Post  

I noticed that no one answered my questions. I also researched my questions myself in some other websites, to no avail. Which leads me to believe that there aren't any answers!
Anyway, my problem isn't with the conversion from the list to creating envelopes or letters, although this new version has more steps. I've learned to deal with the additional steps. It's the list itself that's the problem.
I tried creating my first mail merge today in Excel, and it worked! And the chart is like the charts in the previous version of Word. So I will use Excel from now on, and will never create a mail merge in Word 97-2003 again.