Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CAPTGNVR CAPTGNVR is offline

Default HOW to export auto text entries ?

DEAR ALL

I have a list of about 50 names with titles and designations.

I want to send this as word file to my wife as an auto text entries, so that
she need not type these names each time.

Pls sugest the best way to do; as auto text entry or any other better way to
do the same.

BR/CAPTGNVR
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

AutoText entries are saved in templates. By default they are saved in
Normal.dot, but you don't want to share that with your wife, as it would
override her settings. So, assuming you both have Word 2003 or earlier,
create a new template (you can name it AutoText), then open Tools |
Templates and Add-ins and click Organizer. Assuming you have your new
template open for editing, you should see it on the left side and
Normal.dot on the right. Select the AutoText tab, then select the AutoText
entries in Normal.dot that are not just the standard Normal.dot ones (that
is, the ones you have created), and copy them to your new template.

Save your template and give it to your wife (via any ordinary means of
transfer). She can either put it in Word's Startup folder as an add-in or
reverse the Organizer process to copy the entries into her Normal.dot. FWIW,
saving AutoText entries in a separate add-in template can be a good idea; if
you ever have to blow Normal.dot away to solve application problems, you
won't lose the entries (though you can certainly retrieve them using the
Organizer even if you do have to rename Normal.dot to solve a problem).

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
DEAR ALL

I have a list of about 50 names with titles and designations.

I want to send this as word file to my wife as an auto text entries, so
that
she need not type these names each time.

Pls sugest the best way to do; as auto text entry or any other better way
do the same.

BR/CAPTGNVR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CAPTGNVR CAPTGNVR is offline

DEAR SUZANNE

First of all thanks for such quick response and it was such a relief.

I understood till where to start a new doc; save it as a new template; open
add-ins; and organizor etc.

Do you mind giving a bit more explanation or steps for your line "She can
either put it in Word's Startup folder as an add-in .....".

Since it is late here, I will try the rest tomoro and send the file to my
wife and see if she can reverse the organizer.

Will give u the feedback after I get the comments from home. Once again
thanks for the good start.

brgds/captgnvr

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
DEAR ALL

I have a list of about 50 names with titles and designations.

I want to send this as word file to my wife as an auto text entries, so
that
she need not type these names each time.

Pls sugest the best way to do; as auto text entry or any other better way
do the same.

BR/CAPTGNVR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In Word 2003 or earlier, look at Tools | Options | File Locations to find
the path to Word's Startup folder. Any template your wife saves there will
automatically be loaded at startup (along with Normal.dot), so any AutoText
entries it contains will be added to those in Normal.dot. All this will be
automatic and transparent to the user (the only time you'd notice anything
different is if you changed the "Look in" setting in Insert | AutoText |
AutoText from "All active templates" to either Normal.dot or the add-in
template).

The alternative is for your wife to save the AutoText template you have
provided in My Documents (or elsewhere--it will be needed only temporarily),
open it for editing, and then use the Organizer to transfer the AutoText
entries from that template to Normal.dot. Once you've done this, you can
delete the AutoText template if desired.

Not that you need it for this task, but you might be interested in reading
"What do Templates and Add-ins store?" at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
DEAR ALL

I have a list of about 50 names with titles and designations.

I want to send this as word file to my wife as an auto text entries, so
that
she need not type these names each time.

Pls sugest the best way to do; as auto text entry or any other better
way
do the same.

BR/CAPTGNVR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CAPTGNVR CAPTGNVR is offline

DEAR SUZANNE

Good Day. Totally understood the concept and sure of executing it and
thanks for same.

Alternatively, what will be easy and more user friendly will be to have it
VB code to get a drop down list box or combo box and select the names to
inserted at the cursor and after which the list box should disappear. Is it
too much to ask for??

This way she can keep updating the names without having the need to keep
changing the auto text entries.

BRGDS/CAPTGNVR

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
DEAR ALL

I have a list of about 50 names with titles and designations.

I want to send this as word file to my wife as an auto text entries, so
that
she need not type these names each time.

Pls sugest the best way to do; as auto text entry or any other better
way
do the same.

BR/CAPTGNVR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm not sure exactly what functionality you're trying for. You could use an
AutoTextList field (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm) in a given template
(after selecting the appropriate entry in a given document based on the
template you could unlink the field with Ctrl+Shift+F9), or you could
display the AutoText toolbar in the template; keeping in mind that the
entries available will depend on the style at the insertion point.

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
DEAR ALL

I have a list of about 50 names with titles and designations.

I want to send this as word file to my wife as an auto text entries,
so
that
she need not type these names each time.

Pls sugest the best way to do; as auto text entry or any other
better
way
do the same.

BR/CAPTGNVR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CAPTGNVR CAPTGNVR is offline

DEAR SUZANNE

This is marvellous at your prompt replies and it is such a pleasure.

The functionality I am trying for is to help my wife to make a word document
where she has to

1. send about 60 emails with meeting invitation by addressing each person by
their designation and titles.

2. address various personalities names with designation and titles
frequently when she makes reports and minutes of the meeting.

So I am trying to solve this by providing a list of 100 names or so which
will constantly vary, whereby she can just click on the name to insert it in
the word document. For ex:

Dear M.J.F Lion Dr. P.M.K. WILSON

The monthly meeting will be held at hotel Hyatt on 30th August and please
make yourself available.

Regards/Secretary

I have tried this with mail merge for taking the print outs but trying to
get the names inserted easily instead of typing each big names so often.

Hope this explains my requirement.

BRGDS/CAPTGNVR

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
DEAR ALL

I have a list of about 50 names with titles and designations.

I want to send this as word file to my wife as an auto text entries,
so
that
she need not type these names each time.

Pls sugest the best way to do; as auto text entry or any other
better
way
do the same.

BR/CAPTGNVR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is an application for mail merge. Either put the list of names etc in a
Word table with a header row to provide fieldname(s) or store the entries in
Outlook (using categories to identify them as peculiar to the application -
or even a second contacts list defibned as an e-mail address book) and then
simply merge the list into a document. See
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm and for the data
sources - see http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm
(which shows what the table should look like) and
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
DEAR ALL

I have a list of about 50 names with titles and designations.

I want to send this as word file to my wife as an auto text
entries, so
that
she need not type these names each time.

Pls sugest the best way to do; as auto text entry or any other
better
way
do the same.

BR/CAPTGNVR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CAPTGNVR CAPTGNVR is offline

DEAR GRAHAM

Read all the links and it was useful for mail merge. Thanks for same.

What I am trying to find out is to find a way to have a table of NAMES from
where I can insert the names where I want in the document. Though Miss
Suzanne guidance was of success, I am still trying to avoid this auto text
entries bcos it is cumbersome to update if names are changed. Whereas if I
have it as a table then I can just delete or add new name or phrases as
required. Pls advice.

BR/CAPTGNVR

"CAPTGNVR" wrote in message
DEAR ALL

I have a list of about 50 names with titles and designations.

I want to send this as word file to my wife as an auto text
entries, so
that
she need not type these names each time.

Pls sugest the best way to do; as auto text entry or any other
better
way
do the same.

BR/CAPTGNVR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A table is a table. Provided it looks like the table in the page
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm Word can use it as
a mail merge data source.
The two merge links show how to merge a data slource into a document. The
pages use labels as the merge document as labels tend to be more
complicated, but the same principles apply to merge a data source into a
letter.
The easiest solution is as I indicated, to use Outlook to store your contact
names.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I agree with Graham that this is a job for mail merge. If your wife were
creating letters or emails one or two at a time, then the AutoText method
would be reasonable, but if she's creating many at once, mail merge is the
correct tool.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CAPTGNVR CAPTGNVR is offline

DEAR SUZANNE
GOOD DAY.

Mail merge I will manage when I am home with her. For the time being a
solution whereby she can just select the names as and when needed instead of
typing lengthy names.

Cant there be a VB to get a combo box with those list taken from excel file
and pick the names where it is needed in word??

BR/CAPTGNVR

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you put the names in an Outlook contacts list as I have mentioned several
times already, you can insert individual names, addresses, phone numbers or
whatever from the list using a macro. There are code examples at
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm. If you have the names already listed
in Excel, you can import the list, having saved it from Excel as a csv
format file. into Outlook to save a lot of retyping, but if you are going to
have to enter all the names etc, then you might as well simply enter them
into Outlook in the first place.