Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laurie_g laurie_g is offline

Default cannot group objects

Hi
I am using Word 2007. Why can't I group objects (clipart or saved images)
unless I use the Drawing Canvas? Autoshapes will group fine outside of the
Drawing Canvas.

I have tried inserting several different types of objects, changed the text
wrap to In Front of Text, selected two objects, but the Group tool is greyed
out.

If I use the Drawing Canvas the Group tool is active. I don't want to have
to use the Drawing Canvas. Once I've grouped objects inside the canvas, I
have to manually resize the canvas so that it fits the objects (Fit becomes
greyed out if the objects are grouped). But then, I have to apply text
wrapping to the canvas and it is very difficult to then make changes to the
grouped object - selecting it (and not the canvas), resizing, moving.

just a tad frustrating...

any ideas???

Laurie
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: cannot group objects

Hi Laurie,

I understand how frustrating it can be when you can't group objects in Word. Here are some possible reasons why you can't group objects and some solutions to try:
  1. Objects are not selected properly: Make sure that you have selected all the objects that you want to group. To do this, click and drag your mouse over the objects to select them. You can also hold down the Shift key and click on each object to select them individually.
  2. Objects are on different layers: If the objects are on different layers, you won't be able to group them. To check if the objects are on different layers, right-click on each object and select "Order" from the menu. If the "Bring Forward" or "Send Backward" options are greyed out, it means that the objects are on different layers. To fix this, right-click on each object and select "Bring to Front" or "Send to Back" until they are all on the same layer.
  3. Objects are grouped already: If the objects are already grouped, you won't be able to group them again. To check if the objects are grouped, click on one of the objects and see if the "Ungroup" option is available in the menu. If it is, then the objects are already grouped. To ungroup them, select the grouped object and click on "Ungroup" in the menu.
  4. Objects are not compatible: Some objects may not be compatible with each other, which can prevent them from being grouped. For example, you may not be able to group a clipart image with a photo. To fix this, try converting the objects to the same format. For example, you can convert a clipart image to a picture format by right-clicking on it and selecting "Save as Picture".

If none of these solutions work, you may need to use the Drawing Canvas to group your objects. While it may be a bit more work to resize and wrap text around the canvas, it can be a useful tool for grouping objects that are not compatible or on different layers.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?bGF1cmllX2c=?=,

The graphics engine for Office 2007 was revamped - you'll see this best in
Powerpoint. Word, however, wasn't able to completely implement the new graphics
in this version, so what you get is a mish-mash of the old and the new. And
these can't really work together. The Group command works only for the old
stuff (AutoShapes); it can't work with the new or a combination of new and old.

The Drawing Canvas is old, and putting a graphics file in it "converts" the
file to work with the old commands. That's why Group will work inside the
canvas with things that won't accept the command outside the canvas.

I am using Word 2007. Why can't I group objects (clipart or saved images)
unless I use the Drawing Canvas? Autoshapes will group fine outside of the
Drawing Canvas.

I have tried inserting several different types of objects, changed the text
wrap to In Front of Text, selected two objects, but the Group tool is greyed
out.

If I use the Drawing Canvas the Group tool is active. I don't want to have
to use the Drawing Canvas. Once I've grouped objects inside the canvas, I
have to manually resize the canvas so that it fits the objects (Fit becomes
greyed out if the objects are grouped). But then, I have to apply text
wrapping to the canvas and it is very difficult to then make changes to the
grouped object - selecting it (and not the canvas), resizing, moving.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cathy D. Cathy D. is offline

Even in earlier versions, it was a cinch to just move the objects into
PowerPoint, group what you want and then copy/paste back into Word. I learned
to do that because Word would never let me rotate certain objects, that only
Ppt would.
Hope that helps.

--
Microsoft''s New Toys - gotta learn them eventually (there''s no way around
it). F1 is my new friend for find all my previously used advanced features,

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

My Worksheet Objects become just Objects. Why? Fred Borden Microsoft Word Help 8 March 21st 07 07:45 PM
convert linked objects to embedded objects ackerb Microsoft Word Help 5 April 20th 06 02:21 PM
How do I group objects Deff Steph Tables 1 February 27th 06 02:05 AM
Won't Group W. Watson New Users 4 February 3rd 06 05:01 AM
Group By Derek Hart Tables 5 January 9th 06 04:12 AM