Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ian Ian is offline

Default How do I set Office 2007 as default program to open files?

I have Microsoft Works as an OEM program and it is the default program to
open files. I have recently installed Office 2007 and it won't open the
files unless you right click the file to open it specifically with MS Office
07. I would like to keep MS Works rather than uninstall it completely, so
how do i set 07 to be default file opener?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Which files do you want to open? Works files? Old Word documents?
Office 2007 has its own file format.

Ian wrote:
I have Microsoft Works as an OEM program and it is the default
program to open files. I have recently installed Office 2007 and it
won't open the files unless you right click the file to open it
specifically with MS Office
07. I would like to keep MS Works rather than uninstall it
completely, so how do i set 07 to be default file opener?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ian Ian is offline

Thank you for answering!
I am probably opening old Office 2000 files which I created on my other
computer and am working with now on my new computer, carried over to the new
computer by a USB memory chip. Because OfficeWorks was bundled with the new
computer,it automatically tries to open the files and, as you said, one has
to right click to open the file. I just thought that there'd be a way to
disable OfficeWorks' defaults without uninstalling it.

Ian wrote:
I have Microsoft Works as an OEM program and it is the default
program to open files. I have recently installed Office 2007 and it
won't open the files unless you right click the file to open it
specifically with MS Office
07. I would like to keep MS Works rather than uninstall it
completely, so how do i set 07 to be default file opener?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In Windows Explorer, go to Tools Folder Options File Types. Select the
DOC extension in the list. Where it says "Opens with" and lists the Works
program, click the Change button and select Word.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman