Moving bulk information from Excel to Word

Old September 24th 09, 05:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sue

Default Moving bulk information from Excel to Word

I am wanting to move all data under a number of headings from Excel to Word.
For example counter number and a list of the counter numbers I have
entered will move across, 0001, 0002, 0003. Is there any way of doing this
without having to make more headings?
Old September 25th 09, 06:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

If the numbers you want to merge are consecutive then you could use skipif
fields eg to print only those with numbers 1 to 3

{ SKIPIF{ MERGEFIELD Counter_Number } 1 }{ SKIPIF{ MERGEFIELD
Counter_Number } 3

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

}

Old September 25th 09, 11:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

It sounds as if Graham has understood what you are trying to do but if
not, maybe you could spell it out a bit more, e.g. what have you got in
your Excel sheet and what do you want to end up with in Word?

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

Old September 25th 09, 05:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sue

Yeah sorry I guess I wasn't very clear in what I am trying to do. So in the
spread sheet I have looks something like this:

Counter Description GPS
00010 Tree 123456
00025 Road 456789
00040 Fence 987654

The document I want to look like this:

Counter

00010 Tree
(123456)
00025 Road
(456789)
00040 Fence
(987654)

I hope this makes more sense and you are able to help. Thanks.

Old September 25th 09, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

In that particular case, you would need
a. to use a directory merge (sometimes also termed a "catalog" merge)
b. to insert fields like

{ MERGEFIELD Counter } { MERGEFIELD Description }
({ MERGEFIELD GPS })

c. to insert the heading "Counter" somehow, e.g.
- in the header (so it appears on each page)
- manually, post-merge
- by putting a nested field that checks for record 1, e.g. like this

{ IF { MERGESEQ } = 1 "Counter

" }{ MERGEFIELD Counter } { MERGEFIELD Description }
({ MERGEFIELD GPS })

Or have I missed the point?