samuelcahun samuelcahun is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up Word 2010 Autosaved .asd files are disappearing

Word 2010, under File, Options, Save, I have Save AutoRecover information every 1 minute and have Keep the last autosaved version if I close without saving checked. I have a path in the AutoRecover file location blank. When I create a new document, and type some text in there, I do see the .asd backup file for my unsaved document. However, when I close the document and tell it Don't Save, the .asd backup file disappears. I thought that feature meant that .asd file would remain there so I could pull it up under File, Recent, Recover Unsaved Files after I closed without saving. I need to get that working, or understand what I'm not understanding about that feature. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you discard the *.asd file, then you have also discarded the autorecover
file.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"samuelcahun" skrev i meddelandet

Word 2010, under File, Options, Save, I have Save AutoRecover
information every 1 minute and have Keep the last autosaved version if I
close without saving checked. I have a path in the AutoRecover file
location blank. When I create a new document, and type some text in
there, I do see the .asd backup file for my unsaved document. However,
when I close the document and tell it Don't Save, the .asd backup file
disappears. I thought that feature meant that .asd file would remain
there so I could pull it up under File, Recent, Recover Unsaved Files
after I closed without saving. I need to get that working, or
understand what I'm not understanding about that feature. Thanks in
advance.

--
samuelcahun

davismcclure davismcclure is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

You can use Open and Repair feature of MS Office to repair unreadable or corrupt MS Word file, Here are the steps to repair the corrupt Word file To open a specific document by using the Open and Repair feature in Word, follow these steps or if you got severe corruption use https://word.recoverytoolbox.com/ Recovery Toolbox for Word

1. Start Word.
2. On the File menu, click Open.
Note In Word 2007 or Word 2010, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.
3. In the Open dialog box, click to select the file that you want to open.
4. Click the down arrow on the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Of course, for Open and Repair to work, there must be something left behind
to recover...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP