Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
jobiemobie jobiemobie is offline

Default Opening 2007 word files on a computer using microsoft 2000

Does anybody know how I can open my document created using microsoft word
2007 on computers using 2000 and Xp that I do not have adminsistrator rights
to.

Someone on a previous post said saving my 2007 word documents as microsoft
2000 documents...how exactly can I do that? At present I have no internet
connection to my laptop that uses 2007.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
From Word 2007 - file save as - pick Word 97-2003.

Do I understand correctly, then, that Office 2007 documents are in a format
that is only readable by Office 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Yes! But there is a converter available for Office 2002/3

Gordon wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
From Word 2007 - file save as - pick Word 97-2003.

Do I understand correctly, then, that Office 2007 documents are in a
format that is only readable by Office 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

Graham Mayor wrote:
Yes! But there is a converter available for Office 2002/3

But not for office 2000 or 97?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Microsoft has discontinued support for 2000 and 97.

Gordon wrote:
Graham Mayor wrote:
Yes! But there is a converter available for Office 2002/3

But not for office 2000 or 97?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

Graham Mayor wrote:
Microsoft has discontinued support for 2000 and 97.

Now I wonder why they would introduce a new format of document with a
new version of Office? (Cynicism cynicism)....it's this type of arrogant
behaviour that makes MS look like the tyrannical monopoly it is - no
thought for anything other than to get it's victims, er, sorry,
/customers/, to pay for a new Office suite....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

So do you think the same of car manufacturers when the bring out a new model
with all different parts and then after 5 years they stop making spare
parts? Should they - for example - give a firmware upgrade to the all the in
car players so that they are able to play MP3 format? Should Sony give me a
firmware upgrade for my old analogue TV set to enable it to work with
Digital TV because analogue TV has been switched off? I think not. Very few
companies continue to make/support something that they ceased producing
almost 10 years ago.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Gordon" wrote in message
Graham Mayor wrote:
Microsoft has discontinued support for 2000 and 97.

Now I wonder why they would introduce a new format of document with a new
version of Office? (Cynicism cynicism)....it's this type of arrogant
behaviour that makes MS look like the tyrannical monopoly it is - no
thought for anything other than to get it's victims, er, sorry,
/customers/, to pay for a new Office suite....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

Terry Farrell wrote:
So do you think the same of car manufacturers when the bring out a new
model with all different parts and then after 5 years they stop making
spare parts? Should they - for example - give a firmware upgrade to the
all the in car players so that they are able to play MP3 format? Should
Sony give me a firmware upgrade for my old analogue TV set to enable it
to work with Digital TV because analogue TV has been switched off? I
think not. Very few companies continue to make/support something that
they ceased producing almost 10 years ago.

Those are all non-comparable analogies - and yes I run a 40 year-old car
for which spares are still readily available.....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Although Gordon won't agree with me, I think that's an excellent analogy. I
remember having to call scrapyards to find parts for some of the cars I
drove.

(Gordon - Please don't take offense. None is meant.)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Gordon" wrote in message
Graham Mayor wrote:
Microsoft has discontinued support for 2000 and 97.

Now I wonder why they would introduce a new format of document with a new
version of Office? (Cynicism cynicism)....it's this type of arrogant
behaviour that makes MS look like the tyrannical monopoly it is - no
thought for anything other than to get it's victims, er, sorry,
/customers/, to pay for a new Office suite....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

JoAnn Paules wrote:
Although Gordon won't agree with me, I think that's an excellent analogy. I
remember having to call scrapyards to find parts for some of the cars I
drove.

(Gordon - Please don't take offense. None is meant.)

None taken - I drive a 40 year-old car for which spares are still
readily available....:-)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Aalaan Aalaan is offline

Exactly. More and more I am coming across Microsoft destroying its
reputation by engineering obsolescence into their software development. IMO
Word 2000 is a superb piece of software but it is arrogant in the extreme to
deliberately try to halt its use. The same for Visual Basic, where the
so-called replacement (Net) is nothing like it and there is no
compatibility, thus wiping out thousands of years of combined effort and
experience.

"Gordon" wrote in message
Graham Mayor wrote:
Microsoft has discontinued support for 2000 and 97.

Now I wonder why they would introduce a new format of document with a new
version of Office? (Cynicism cynicism)....it's this type of arrogant
behaviour that makes MS look like the tyrannical monopoly it is - no
thought for anything other than to get it's victims, er, sorry,
/customers/, to pay for a new Office suite....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Well it is true that some 'classic' cars are like that. But look at the
mundane, mass-produced cars that will never be collectable classics and it
is totally different. Cars are not built to last forever and neither is
software. Neither is the hardware. For example, Dell, IBM and HP (Compaq)
will provide support and parts warranty for their servers for 5 years from
cease of manufacture, but beyond that you are on your own. Why should
Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, Symantec and countless other software vendors be
any different.

Terry

"Gordon" wrote in message
JoAnn Paules wrote:
Although Gordon won't agree with me, I think that's an excellent analogy.
I remember having to call scrapyards to find parts for some of the cars I
drove.

(Gordon - Please don't take offense. None is meant.)

None taken - I drive a 40 year-old car for which spares are still readily
available....:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Alan

They are not deliberately trying to halt its use. They have stopped support
and development for it. You may continue to use it forever, as long as you
have the platform to run it on.

Terry

"Gordon" wrote in message
Graham Mayor wrote:
Microsoft has discontinued support for 2000 and 97.

Now I wonder why they would introduce a new format of document with a new
version of Office? (Cynicism cynicism)....it's this type of arrogant
behaviour that makes MS look like the tyrannical monopoly it is - no
thought for anything other than to get it's victims, er, sorry,
/customers/, to pay for a new Office suite....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Gordon,

The compatibility pack and converters will work with Office 2000 and up provided they are installed on Windows 2000 SP4 or higher.

The compatibility pack doesn't recognize Office 97. There is already one 3rd party converter (that doesn't work too well g and I
expect that there will be others.

===============
"Gordon" wrote in message ...

But not for office 2000 or 97?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The new file format offers specific benefits: see
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms771890.aspx for technical
details. Brian Jones has a blog specifically on the Open XML format at
http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/default.aspx. The format was designed to
be an open source standard (I believe I've heard that the specs docs run to
6,000 pages); for more on this, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML