Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ib_redbeard ib_redbeard is offline

Default Encoding Error in Word?

Hi,
I am trying to open a document that was last modified in December 2005.
From other people's memory (I wasn't here then) the document opened fine, but
now it does not. When I open the document, Word 2003 states that it cannot
open the file unless I download a converter and install it. The message was
roughly that as I didn't write it down - oops. Anyways, after it opens, it
defaults to Unicode (UTF-8) encoding. It looks like crap. Here is a sample:

"Account","Anniversary","Assistant's Name","Assistant's Phone","Billing
Information","Birthday","Business Address","Business Address City","Business
Address Country","Business Address PO Box","Business Address Postal
Code","Business Address State","Business Address Street","Business
Fax","Business Home Page","Business Phone","Business Phone 2","Callback","Car
Phone","Categories","Children","City","Company","C ompany Main
Phone","Computer Network
Name","Contacts","Country/Region","Created","Customer

It is not supposed to look like that. I have tried to repair the document,
but to no avail. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It looks like a mail merge comma delimited data file?

ib_redbeard wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to open a document that was last modified in December
2005.
From other people's memory (I wasn't here then) the document opened
fine, but now it does not. When I open the document, Word 2003
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ib_redbeard ib_redbeard is offline

Hi Graham,
That would make sense. Is there any way to make this look "normal"? Thanks.

ib_redbeard wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to open a document that was last modified in December
2005.
From other people's memory (I wasn't here then) the document opened
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ib_redbeard ib_redbeard is offline

Oops, Stupid me. OK, I was told that this was a word document with fonts,
words, etc etc. I think I can figure this out, thanks for the tip.

ib_redbeard wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to open a document that was last modified in December
2005.
From other people's memory (I wasn't here then) the document opened
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The part of it that you have pasted looks 'normal'.
If you want to zip it and mail it to the link on my web site I will take a
look tomorrow.

ib_redbeard wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to open a document that was last modified in December
2005.
From other people's memory (I wasn't here then) the document opened
[...]

how to see encoding of the Word-97 file GB[_3_] Microsoft Word Help 1 November 9th 07 08:53 PM
Word Encoding Problem iamdeath Microsoft Word Help 2 December 9th 06 03:03 AM
Word Encoding Problem iamdeath Microsoft Word Help 0 November 14th 06 09:21 PM
encoding in xp word SHEARER New Users 3 February 16th 05 07:57 PM
encoding for word 2002 Romeo Microsoft Word Help 1 February 1st 05 10:34 PM