Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Guy Bullen Guy Bullen is offline

Default How do I insert an en space in Word?

I use Office 2003 and need to insert en dashes after Figure numbers. But I
can't find this function in Word Help.
Does this function exist in Word 2003?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Do you want en space as the subject or en dash as the message?
The latter is CTRL + Minus on the numeric key pad.
The former you can insert from Insert Symbol. There is no shortcut by
default, but nothing stopping you from adding one. I would suggest an
autocorrect for #n.

Guy Bullen wrote:
I use Office 2003 and need to insert en dashes after Figure numbers.
But I can't find this function in Word Help.
Does this function exist in Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Henk57[_50_] Henk57[_50_] is offline

See Insert/Symbol.../[Special characters]. The short cut is [Ctrl +
Num-], where Num- is the dash on the numeric keyboard.

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To add to what the others have said, en and em spaces and dashes are listed
on the Special Characters tab of Insert | Symbol. There's no built-in
keyboard shortcut for the spaces, but you can assign one. There is also a
"Figure Space" available in some large Unicode fonts (such as Arial Unicode
MS), but it sounds like what you want is the en dash rather than the space
(there's a Figure Dash at U2012). For more on all this, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm.

"Guy Bullen" Guy wrote in message
I use Office 2003 and need to insert en dashes after Figure numbers. But I
can't find this function in Word Help.
Does this function exist in Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
gloribee11 gloribee11 is offline

The CTRL + Minus worked! Thanks. I've tried the Word 2007 insturctions, i.e.,
Go to Proofing, Auto Correct Options, Auto Correct tab, and I checked "hyphen
with en dash," but it hasn't produced an en dash. I just get two dashes.

Guy Bullen wrote:
I use Office 2003 and need to insert en dashes after Figure numbers.
But I can't find this function in Word Help.
Does this function exist in Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hyphens are not converted to dashes until you complete the word following
the hyphen(s).

http://word.mvps.org