#1   Report Post  

Default "Not Connected to the Internet" message when trying to translate in Word 2007

Hello folks,

I've been trying to find answers to this problem on this forum and have found similar, but not the same, problems, so the fixes haven't helped. I hope someone can help me.

I am using MS Word 2007 on the Windows 7 platform.
I am translating a book from English to Greek.

The translate option works well for some time (functions properly) but then, after a while, when trying to translate words or phrases the following message pops up in the translation window:

"This service could not be searched because you are not connected to the Internet. Please connect and try again"

I am definitely connected to the internet.

I have shut off and restarted the computer several times, to no effect. I have also run Word diagnostics, with no effect on this problem.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks very much,
Kon
  #2   Report Post  

This may not be so much as you being connected to the Internet, but Word accessing it. Check under the Translation Options in your Research task pane. See if it will use online translations or not. Check both sectinos, the Bilingual dictionary as well as the Machine Translation section.

Hope this helps.
  #3   Report Post  

Hi Oliver,

Thanks so very much for your response.

I currently have the

"Use online dictionary" box checked and the "Use only when the installed dictaionary is unavailable" not checked, in the "Bilingual Dictionary" section

and

"Use online machine translation" checked in the "machine translation" section. It's usually set up like this.

Like I said, it works fine for a while, and then stops working all of a sudden. Restarting doesn't help.

Regards,
Kon
  #4   Report Post  

It is due to net problem only, there is no other problem at all. May be your net is not working properly. Check that out first.
  #5   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenmacer View Post
It is due to net problem only, there is no other problem at all. May be your net is not working properly. Check that out first.
My net is working properly. I am online, looking at the internet, browsing, sending emails but, all of a sudden, while working in Word, it says that I am not connected.