Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mustafa Mustafa is offline

Default Backspace won't delete, text turns red and strikethrough

When i hit the backspce key it does not delete, the text just turns red and
get strikethrough.
I have checked Options and did not get to any solution.

When i open new documents, they does not have the same problem, any idea how
this happens?
--
Keep the Hope
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Backspace won't delete, text turns red and strikethrough

Hi there! It sounds like you might have accidentally turned on the "Track Changes" feature in Microsoft Word. This feature is often used when multiple people are collaborating on a document, as it allows you to see who made changes and when.

To turn off Track Changes, follow these steps:
  1. Look for the "Review" tab at the top of the screen.
  2. In the "Tracking" section, make sure that the "Track Changes" button is not highlighted. If it is, click on it to turn it off.
  3. If the "Track Changes" button is not highlighted, but you still see red text and strikethroughs when you try to delete text, look for the "Show Markup" button in the "Tracking" section. Click on it to see a drop-down menu of different types of markup.
  4. Make sure that "Insertions and Deletions" is not selected. If it is, click on it to turn it off.

If neither of these solutions work, it's possible that there is a problem with your specific document. You could try copying and pasting the text into a new document to see if that solves the problem.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Track Changes is on. Turn it off and then accept all changes made. For more,
see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...ngesWorks.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mustafa" wrote in message
When i hit the backspce key it does not delete, the text just turns red
and
get strikethrough.
I have checked Options and did not get to any solution.

When i open new documents, they does not have the same problem, any idea
how
this happens?
--
Keep the Hope

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cmaddox cmaddox is offline

You have reviewing turned on. Your changes are being treated as corrections
and marked so you will know what changes you have made. Look for the
reviewing toolbar and click on the icon with a piece of paper, a pencil and a
star...that should turn off reviewing. Or you can just change the settings
so that it only shows the final version.
--
cmaddox

"Mustafa" wrote:

When i hit the backspce key it does not delete, the text just turns red and
get strikethrough.
I have checked Options and did not get to any solution.

When i open new documents, they does not have the same problem, any idea how
this happens?
--
Keep the Hope

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] chattytracey@gmail.com is offline

"Mustafa" wrote:

When i hit the backspce key it does not delete, the text just turns red and
get strikethrough.
I have checked Options and did not get to any solution.

When i open new documents, they does not have the same problem, any idea how
this happens?
--
Keep the Hope

Thank you! This was a big help. I was in the middle of a paper and this started, no idea how I turned it on, but thank you for helping me turn it off!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Friday, July 18, 2014 10:55:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
"Mustafa" wrote:

When i hit the backspce key it does not delete, the text just turns red
and get strikethrough.
I have checked Options and did not get to any solution.
When i open new documents, they does not have the same problem, any idea
how this happens?

Thank you! This was a big help. I was in the middle of a paper and this started, no idea how I turned it on, but thank you for helping me turn it off!!!

You probably accidentally touched Ctrl-Shift-E, the keyboard shortcut
for Track Changes.

You can also click the notification in the bar at the bottom of the window
that tells you Track Changes is on.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] aliahmad77@gmail.com is offline

thank you! your answer helped me.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] tlmvboyer@gmail.com is offline

"Mustafa" wrote:

When i hit the backspce key it does not delete, the text just turns red and
get strikethrough.
I have checked Options and did not get to any solution.

When i open new documents, they does not have the same problem, any idea how
this happens?
--
Keep the Hope

I had the same problem. Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kerry Hogan Kerry Hogan is offline

"Mustafa" wrote:

When i hit the backspce key it does not delete, the text just turns red and
get strikethrough.
I have checked Options and did not get to any solution.

When i open new documents, they does not have the same problem, any idea how
this happens?
--
Keep the Hope

I had the same problem. Thank you!

I have same problem but these fixes are not specific enough and I can't find what I need to shut it off. can someone list the menu hierarchy I need to follow to get to this setting so that I can turn it off?

Thanks