Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dziesmer dziesmer is offline

Default Bullet Tab Font is ALWAYS Arial!

HI Everyone;

I'm trying to figure out how to change the default font of the TAB that
follows a bulletted character.

In a few important documents I regualrly convert them to Adobe PDF, and I'm
trying to minimize the number of used and embedded fonts.

The only reason the Arial font keeps showing up in my PDF is because, for
some reason, the tab character following my bullets is formatted as Arial,
even though the font of the bullet (as it is set using normal procedures) is
a different font.

Can anyone help? Is there any way to change the tab character to be a
different font???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Which version of Word are you using?

How did you create the bulleted list?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"dziesmer" wrote in message
HI Everyone;

I'm trying to figure out how to change the default font of the TAB that
follows a bulletted character.

In a few important documents I regualrly convert them to Adobe PDF, and
I'm
trying to minimize the number of used and embedded fonts.

The only reason the Arial font keeps showing up in my PDF is because, for
some reason, the tab character following my bullets is formatted as Arial,
even though the font of the bullet (as it is set using normal procedures)
is
a different font.

Can anyone help? Is there any way to change the tab character to be a
different font???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] nathan.hallquist@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:22:01 AM UTC-7, dziesmer wrote:
HI Everyone;

I'm trying to figure out how to change the default font of the TAB that
follows a bulletted character.

In a few important documents I regualrly convert them to Adobe PDF, and I'm
trying to minimize the number of used and embedded fonts.

The only reason the Arial font keeps showing up in my PDF is because, for
some reason, the tab character following my bullets is formatted as Arial,
even though the font of the bullet (as it is set using normal procedures) is
a different font.

Can anyone help? Is there any way to change the tab character to be a
different font???

I have the exact same problem. Did you ever figure this out?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Mar 2, 11:05*am, wrote:

On Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:22:01 AM UTC-7, dziesmer wrote:

HI Everyone;

I'm trying to figure out how to change the default font of the TAB that

follows a bulletted character.

In a few important documents I regualrly convert them to Adobe PDF, and I'm

trying to minimize the number of used and embedded fonts.

The only reason the Arial font keeps showing up in my PDF is because, for

some reason, the tab character following my bullets is formatted as Arial,

even though the font of the bullet (as it is set using normal procedures) is

a different font.

Can anyone help? *Is there any way to change the tab character to be a

different font???

I have the exact same problem. *Did you ever figure this out?

I am using word 2010. I see this problem with both printing to PS and with save as PDF. I even have this problem if I make a blank document using my normal template and just put a bullet list in it. I believe my normal template to be unmodified. I have used a custom rule in Acrobat Pro's preflight checks to identify the arial tab....

Nathan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Which font is being used for the bullet? If it is a symbol font, perhaps
there is no tab character in its character set. Similar replacements occur
all the time behind the scenes, when a particular character is not available
in the font applied to text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On Mar 2, 11:05 am, wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] nathan.hallquist@gmail.com is offline

Stefan,

Thank you for replying! I have checked. Word does this with all lists--Even ones with numbers in Times New Roman.

I can consistently reproduce this problem by making a blank document from my normal template, putting a numbered list in, and then saving to PDF (or by printing to PS and converting with ghostscript).

If word has an "automatic" font I want for it to be something that I can choose. Is there a registry entry, prehaps, for this?

Regards,
Nathan

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:47:34 AM UTC-8, Stefan Blom wrote:
Which font is being used for the bullet? If it is a symbol font, perhaps

there is no tab character in its character set. Similar replacements occur

all the time behind the scenes, when a particular character is not available

in the font applied to text.

--

Stefan Blom

Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sorry, I have no insight into the conversion process you are describing...

If you convert to PDF in some other way, does that make a difference?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] nathan.hallquist@gmail.com is offline

Stefan,

The PDF distiller makes no difference. Ways I've seen it:

1) save as PDF
2) print to EPS
3) print to Acrobat PDF printer

I've not tried the Acrobat plugin because I did not install it on my computer. I've never seen a Microsoft Word-generated PDF free from this corruption.

I've also checked various word docs people are sending me (for unrelated projects). All of them have Arial tabs in lists.

Have you tried it? The easiest thing to try is "save as PDF." You'll get Arial tabs. The easiest indication is to go to document properties in acroreader. You'll see that any doc with an ordered list contains Arial.

Thanks again!
Nathan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I see that Arial is listed as one the fonts in File | Properties, Fonts tab
in Acrobat Reader, when looking at a converted PDF that includes a bulleted
list. Are you sure it only happens for documents that contain bulleted or
numbered lists by the way?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

skrev i meddelandet
Stefan,

The PDF distiller makes no difference. Ways I've seen it:

1) save as PDF
2) print to EPS
3) print to Acrobat PDF printer

I've not tried the Acrobat plugin because I did not install it on my
computer. I've never seen a Microsoft Word-generated PDF free from this
corruption.

I've also checked various word docs people are sending me (for unrelated
projects). All of them have Arial tabs in lists.

Have you tried it? The easiest thing to try is "save as PDF." You'll get
Arial tabs. The easiest indication is to go to document properties in
acroreader. You'll see that any doc with an ordered list contains Arial.

Thanks again!
Nathan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] nathan.hallquist@gmail.com is offline

Stefan,

I've looked for other correlation and have not found any. I've tried to change the font, and the tab is always Arial.

Nathan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] nathan.hallquist@gmail.com is offline

Stefan,

Have you, by any chance, been able to confirm that this problem exists? If you can find an example where this doesn't happen, I'd like to see it--maybe I could learn from it why it is not happening.....

Nathan

On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:55:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Stefan,

I've looked for other correlation and have not found any. I've tried to change the font, and the tab is always Arial.

Nathan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi Nathan,

If you can find an example where this doesn't happen, I'd like to see
it

I guess we will not find an example :-(.
In numbered paragraphs, the numbers are usually followed by a "Tab".
Alternatively you could choose "Space" or "Nothing".
The Tab however, and the Space as well, will be formatted with Arial.
(Maybe, it's easier to convert the tab stop values?)

The item was also discussed in a German forum one year ago:
http://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/o...0-cb9f9d34d926

--
Cheers,
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] nathan.hallquist@gmail.com is offline

Lisa,

Thank you! Your comments lead me to a solution. I wrote a program that turns off the tabs in the list templates and then adds back tabs by hand. I run it just before I distill the file. Works great!

I wish that Microsoft would fix this bug.

Best Regards,
Nathan

On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:21:04 AM UTC-7, Lisa Wilke-Thissen wrote:
Hi Nathan,

If you can find an example where this doesn't happen, I'd like to see

it

I guess we will not find an example :-(.

In numbered paragraphs, the numbers are usually followed by a "Tab".

Alternatively you could choose "Space" or "Nothing".

The Tab however, and the Space as well, will be formatted with Arial.

(Maybe, it's easier to convert the tab stop values?)

The item was also discussed in a German forum one year ago:

http://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/o...0-cb9f9d34d926

--

Cheers,

Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi Nathan,

Thank you! Your comments lead me to a solution.
I wrote a program that turns off the tabs in the
list templates and then adds back tabs by hand.
I run it just before I distill the file. Works great!

thanks for the feedback - and good luck!

Lisa
[MS MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just a thought: even without a macro, you can set the list format to use a
space, or nothing, to follow list items.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message

[...]

Any font issue converting Word docx into PDF with Arial 10 font? Remisnism Microsoft Word Help 3 March 13th 09 08:21 AM
Arial Bold Font PLEASE HELP! Riverman Microsoft Word Help 3 June 20th 08 06:25 AM
Can not set Arial as default font Warren Microsoft Word Help 9 May 31st 07 02:26 PM
Arial Font Annette Microsoft Word Help 1 November 28th 06 10:44 PM
Where is the Arial font? DebbieH-F Microsoft Word Help 1 November 25th 04 01:16 AM