Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DannyP DannyP is offline

Default Can't view track changes

In Word 2007 I can make track changes to a document and add comments.
However, when I save the document and open it again, I can't see the track
changes I have made, only the comments. I didn't think this was possible so I
am a little confused.

If I send the document to someone else they can view the changes and
comments normally. Also, if someone else sends me a document with track
changes, I can't view them either.

Any help would be much appreciated.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can't view track changes

It sounds like the Track Changes feature is not being displayed in your Word document. Here are some steps you can take to try and resolve the issue:
  1. Check the Display for Review setting: Click on the Review tab in the ribbon, then click on the Display for Review dropdown menu. Make sure that "Final Showing Markup" is selected. This will display all changes and comments in the document.
  2. Check the Track Changes settings: Click on the Review tab in the ribbon, then click on the Track Changes dropdown menu. Make sure that "Track Changes" is turned on. You can also customize the settings by clicking on "Change Tracking Options" to make sure that all changes are being tracked.
  3. Check the Markup Area Highlight setting: Click on the Review tab in the ribbon, then click on the Show Markup dropdown menu. Make sure that "Comments" and "Insertions and Deletions" are selected. This will highlight all changes and comments in the document.
  4. Check the Document View setting: Click on the View tab in the ribbon, then click on the Draft dropdown menu. Make sure that "Print Layout" is selected. This will display the document in the same format as it would appear when printed, including all changes and comments.

If none of these steps work, it may be a problem with your Word installation. You can try repairing or reinstalling Word to see if that resolves the issue.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Tracking group of the Review tab, there's a dropdown called
"Show Markup," where you tell it to show Insertions and Deletions.
That, however, is supposed to be on whenever you open a document
containing tracked changes -- which suggests that the option to
override that is checked. It's buried so deeply in the Options that I
can't find it now!

On Sep 17, 12:46*pm, DannyP wrote:
In Word 2007 I can make track changes to a document and add comments.
However, when I save the document and open it again, I can't see the track
changes I have made, only the comments. I didn't think this was possible so I
am a little confused.

If I send the document to someone else they can view the changes and
comments normally. Also, if someone else sends me a document with track
changes, I can't view them either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Word Options dialog box, click the Trust Center category. Click Trust
Center Settings. In the Privacy Options category, make sure there is a check
mark next to "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving" and click
OK twice.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
[...]

Atma Atma is offline
Junior Member

I had to click on "track changes" "change tracking options".

Then under "insertions", I changed from "none" to "color only".
Then under "deletions", I changed from "none" to "strike-through".
Lastly, under "use balloons" I changed from "never" to "only for comments/formatting.

Hope that helps.
Atma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyP View Post