Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Jag Man

Default Preventing deletion of header

My wife creates the monthly newsletter for a group. It is 2-3 pages
long. By tradition there is a list of officers,
organization logo, and date of the issue at the top of the first page.
I have set this up in the header, and have
a section break at the very beginning of the document.

The problem is one of "disappearing header." She's working on the
document and all of a sudden the
header is gone. I have traced the problem to see what causes it.
Apparently, she inadvertantly deletes
the section break, and that's what makes the header go away. I believe
this is because the initial section,
which has nothing in it and exists only to "hold" the header, gets
deleted along with the break, and that's
the section with the header. There is no undo for this action,
so unless she immediately leaves Word without saving the header is
lost and gone forever. The only
recovery is to go back to a previous issue of the newsleter and start
over, losing all changes made for the
issue being written.

I have looked into how I might "lock" that part of the document so
this can't happen. I checked Help and
the FAQs, but found nothing that directly applies... or at least not
as I understand. Options for
Protecting seem to be based on Subdocuments or Forms, neither of which
seems appropriate for the
initial section. The FAQs gives a couple suggestions for locking the
contents of the header, but they would seem
not to prevent the entire thing from deletion.

Any ideas for solving this problem.

TIA,

Ed