Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Picsou1981 Picsou1981 is offline

Default Impossible to post questions or replies

Hi all.

As a French-speaking person, I tried over and over to post my question on
the French version this newsgroups site
(http://www.microsoft.com/france/comm...e/default.mspx) but
without success. I can read the posts alright but when I click on the
reply/new buttons, the current page reloads.
It might have something to do with the program protecting my computer vs.
unwanted publicity, although I didnt get a warning message like the one I
just got on the english server.

Any suggestions to solve this problem ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There have been a number of problems with the Communities pages of late.
Some of them are gradually being solved. As grammatim suggests, you can post
a question here (in French or English) and likely get an answer.

"Picsou1981" wrote in message
Hi all.

As a French-speaking person, I tried over and over to post my question on
the French version this newsgroups site
(http://www.microsoft.com/france/comm...e/default.mspx)
but
without success. I can read the posts alright but when I click on the
reply/new buttons, the current page reloads.
It might have something to do with the program protecting my computer vs.
unwanted publicity, although I didnt get a warning message like the one I
just got on the english server.

Any suggestions to solve this problem ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Or, using an NNTP newsreader such as Outlook Express, subscribe to:

microsoft.public.fr.word

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Picsou1981" wrote in message
Hi all.

As a French-speaking person, I tried over and over to post my question on
the French version this newsgroups site
(http://www.microsoft.com/france/comm...e/default.mspx)
but
without success. I can read the posts alright but when I click on the
reply/new buttons, the current page reloads.
It might have something to do with the program protecting my computer vs.
unwanted publicity, although I didnt get a warning message like the one I
just got on the english server.

Any suggestions to solve this problem ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since I'm not looking at Google Groups, I don't know what you're talking
about, but when I reply to you, your quoted message begins:

"grammatim" wrote in message

Similarly, a post from the Microsoft Communities shows up as, for example:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Usually when you're posting here in the Word group your messages do not contain a signature block at the end of your postings, as in
this case (below).

It's not uncommon for folks here to use an alias for their name, and/or email address. Are you asking about using the web interface
at Google group and on how to change this group to show your name, or for the other groups to no longer show your name?

==================
"grammatim" wrote in message ...
I've no idea why google groups decided to identify me here by my email
name instead of my signature; it doesn't do that for any other of my
five newsgroups.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In no other newsgroup is my email name (grammatim) given as my poster
name; in all other newsgroups, my poster name is my real name, the one
I sign in to google groups with on the unpredictable occasions when it
demands that I do so.

I don't have a .sig on my postings, both because I don't like posting
unnecessary lines and because I don't know how to.

On Jul 20, 1:05 pm, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
Usually when you're posting here in the Word group your messages do not contain a signature block at the end of your postings, as in
this case (below).

It's not uncommon for folks here to use an alias for their name, and/or email address. Are you asking about using the web interface
at Google group and on how to change this group to show your name, or for the other groups to no longer show your name?

==================
"grammatim" wrote in ...
I've no idea why google groups decided to identify me here by my email
name instead of my signature; it doesn't do that for any other of my
five newsgroups.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm rather surprised, given how much you post, that you are using Google
Groups at all. I should think you would find it more efficient to use a
newsreader such as Outlook Express. If you did so, you could define a
signature for NG posts and set the display name as you choose. See
http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm for instructions if you're interested.

"grammatim" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I will not be lectured at _again_ for using google groups. I don't
know that there's anything I'd want to do that it doesn't do, and I
don't see what's "inefficient" about it.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, my post wasn't intended as a lecture, and I didn't know it was a
suggestion that had been offered before. I guess those of us who are used to
using NNTP have a hard time understanding how anyone can bear to use a
browser-based UI for NGs. Perhaps Google Groups is a lot more efficient than
Microsoft Communities, but the latter is so unbearably slow that, even if it
didn't require a login, I wouldn't use it unless there were absolutely no
other way to read NGs.

In any case, the reason I suggested OE was that your question pertained to
your display name, which I'm seeing in OE as "grammatim." If you were
posting with OE (or some other NNTP newsreader), your display name would be
whatever you wanted it to be.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For a couple of weeks I've been using my new Linux-based portable,
because my PC is broken. I can access google just as easily here as
there. And that doesn't change the fact that my ISP (being yahoo
based) does not believe newsgroups are a useful thing: it thinks yahoo
groups are all one could possibly need.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

So I guess you're saying that you don't have OE because you're running
Linux? That makes sense. Not to belabor the point, but if you *did* want to
use a newsreader, there are others, many available free. I just use OE
because I'm lazy. And while your ISP may not offer a news server, you don't
need that to connect to msnews, as you can set up an account to access it
directly.

Again, not trying to change your mind, just to provide information. For
people on dial-up (as I was for many years and a good bit of the world still
is), an offline newsreader is very helpful.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Grammatim,

Well, you still haven't said if you're wanting to have your name appear or not

The Google account login has a cycle of, if I recall correctly, about 2 weeks before it will ask you to verify that you're you again
and login.

To have a name appear when posting from Google groups the group usually needs to be in your list of subscribed groups.

On http://groups.google.com, if you look at the 'My groups' box if
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement is listed use the 'manage my memberships' link to add a nickname for this group.

If this group is not listed there then navigate to the group (one method is to use the 'My groups' dropdown on the top of the page)
and on the right hand side of the group thread listing look for either a 'Subscribe' or 'Edit my subscription' link to add/change
having a nickname appear on your postings.

========
"grammatim" wrote in message ...
In no other newsgroup is my email name (grammatim) given as my poster
name; in all other newsgroups, my poster name is my real name, the one
I sign in to google groups with on the unpredictable occasions when it
demands that I do so.

I don't have a .sig on my postings, both because I don't like posting
unnecessary lines and because I don't know how to.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, the Linux machine uses Mozilla Firefox, which was
immediately able to access my email account at yahoo, but not my
bookmarks (which are stored on the Verizon Yahoo email server), but an
attempt to access nttp://news.verizon.net produced nothing at all.

When I got DSL a bit more than two years ago, I was given two options:
a Microsoft interface, and a yahoo interface. I chose the latter, and
only after I was committed did I learn that they have no idea what
newsgroups are and do not offer access.

On dial-up from my old Mac, I had Netscape 3.0. Occasionally I had to
switch to a later version but it had a much more complicated interface
and much less "functionality."

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jul 21, 11:28 am, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
Hi Grammatim,

Well, you still haven't said if you're wanting to have your name appear or not

I have no reason for it not to.

The Google account login has a cycle of, if I recall correctly, about 2 weeks before it will ask you to verify that you're you again
and login.

It seems totally random.

To have a name appear when posting from Google groups the group usually needs to be in your list of subscribed groups.

Of course it is.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

IF you were using Outlook Express, I do not think that the Yahoo interface
would preclude you from connecting to the newsgroups by following these
instructions.

1.1. Connect to a newsgroup server using Outlook Express

Open Outlook Express and follow these steps:
On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
In the Internet Account dialog box, click Add, and then click News.
The Internet Connection Wizard starts. Follow these steps in the wizard:
On the first screen, in the Display name box, type the name that other users
will see when you post a message to the newsgroup, and then click Next.
On the second screen, type your full e-mail address in the E-mail address
box, and then click Next.
On the third screen, in the News (NNTP) Server box, type the name of your
news server. To subscribe to the newsgroups hosted on Microsoft's servers,
type msnews.microsoft.com. If you don't know the name of your news server,
contact your Internet provider.
If necessary, select the My news server requires me to log on check box, and
then click Next. If you don't know whether your server requires you to log
on, contact your Internet provider. The Microsoft server does not require a
user name and password.
On the last screen, click Finish.
Click Close, and then click Yes when asked if you want to download
newsgroups from the account you just created. The Newsgroup Subscriptions
dialog box appears.
Select the newsgroups you want to use, click Subscribe, and then click OK.

Note Most of Microsoft newsgroups use this naming convention:
microsoft.public.application_name.specific_area. For example: you could
subscribe to microsoft.public.office.dataanalyzer, or
microsoft.public.excel.programming. However, that isn't always the case.
Don't be afraid to browse the list of groups in order to find something that
you think will be useful.

On the Tools menu, click Options, click the Read tab, and then clear the Get
300 headers at a time check box.
Click the Maintenance tab, clear the Delete new messages n days after being
downloaded check box, and then click OK.
Step 5 allows you to download and read all the newsgroup's postings when you
first subscribe. Step 6 allows you to read older messages.

1.2. Subscribe or unsubscribe to newsgroups

After you establish a connection to your newsgroup server, you add
newsgroups to your list by subscribing. You can subscribe or unsubscribe to
newsgroups at any time. Typically, you use the group name as a guide when
subscribing. For example, a name such as
microsoft.public.office.developer.outlook.forms would be a good place to
start if you need help writing a custom form for Outlook.
To subscribe
Start Outlook Express.
In the folder pane, click the name of your news server. For example, if you
established a connection to Microsoft's server, click msnews.microsoft.com.
In the main viewing pane, click Newsgroups.
In the Newsgroup Subscriptions dialog box, select a newsgroup from the list,
and then click Subscribe.
Repeat the previous step to subscribe to additional newsgroups, and then
click OK when you finish.
In the main viewing pane, double-click the name of the new newsgroup. If you
only want to receive new messages since the last time you visited, select
the New messages only check box, and then double-click the newsgroup name.

Note When you subscribe to a newsgroup for the first time, you receive all
the messages whether or not you select the New messages only check box.
To unsubscribe
In the Outlook Express folder pane, right-click the newsgroup that you want
to stop using, and then click Unsubscribe on the shortcut menu.
Tips
To reduce the number of items in the list of available newsgroups, enter a
phrase in the Display newsgroups which contain box. For instance, you can
enter an application name such as "publisher" or the name of a discipline
such as "programming." The list changes automatically when you finish
typing.
Newsgroups in languages other than English are identified by their names;
for example, microsoft.public.fr.excel is a newsgroup for Microsoft Excel
users who speak French.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jul 22, 6:47 am, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:
IF you were using Outlook Express,

But I'm not, am I.

I do not think that the Yahoo interface
would preclude you from connecting to the newsgroups by following these
instructions.

1.1. Connect to a newsgroup server using Outlook Express

Open Outlook Express and follow these steps:
On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
In the Internet Account dialog box, click Add, and then click News.
The Internet Connection Wizard starts. Follow these steps in the wizard:
On the first screen, in the Display name box, type the name that other users
will see when you post a message to the newsgroup, and then click Next.
On the second screen, type your full e-mail address in the E-mail address
box, and then click Next.
On the third screen, in the News (NNTP) Server box, type the name of your
news server. To subscribe to the newsgroups hosted on Microsoft's servers,

Why would I want to do that? They're only newsgroups about MS
products.

type msnews.microsoft.com. If you don't know the name of your news server,
contact your Internet provider.

I already told you. My ISP has no knowledge that newsgroups exist.

[...]

By "Download," do you mean "download," or do you mean "view" messages
that are never physically moved to my hard drive? Later on it says I
will "receive" all the messages the first time I look at a particular
newsgroup. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to "receive" tens of
thousands of messages from this group back in November!

deleting the rest of the boilerplate
--

"grammatim" wrote in message

[...]

I've no idea

read more »

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just to answer one question:

By "Download," do you mean "download," or do you mean "view" messages
that are never physically moved to my hard drive? Later on it says I
will "receive" all the messages the first time I look at a particular
newsgroup. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to "receive" tens of
thousands of messages from this group back in November!

Yes, when you use an NNTP newsreader, you must download a message to your
machine to open and read it. The advantage to this is that you can read and
reply to messages offline (which is important for some users who pay by the
minute both for their phone connection AND their Internet access). They are
stored on the local machine, but you can set a time for them to expire (this
could be as little as one day). Unless you have an exceedingly tiny HD, this
is not really an issue, since a message starts out as 1KB, though it may
grow larger in a long thread if previous messages are quoted. For example,
the message to which I am replying is all of 11KB.

Also, you wouldn't received messages back to November, as the msnews servers
themselves expire posts after 90 days. The only way to find older posts is
through Google or other sites that "slurp" Usenet. OTOH, if you keep copies
of sent messages, then you can keep your replies indefinitely (which is
handy if you want to repeat one). This is one reason I wouldn't want to use
a Web interface: it does not allow me to store my messages locally.

I know you were asking only out of curiosity, and I am not attempting to
persuade you, just answering the question.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Peter,

FWIW, the Google groups web interface one seems to me to be one of the better ones as far as something to use regularly, including
getting an email summary of messages posted if it is wanted. Adding a nickname to your subscribed http://groups.google.com
managed subscription list for this group should have had it appear in messages you post here, unless you have cookies blocked on
google. Not having a nickname defaults to only showing your email address that is on the registered google account, and your
default 'nickname' is usually pulled from your email address.

As an FYI only, Verizon does offer, to its own subscribers via nntp://news.verizon.net (you listed it as nttp in a prior post) that
you can access via Mozilla Thunderbird if you were so inclined, but it has been somewhat iffy for some folks in getting it setup.
Additionally, Verizon ratcheted down its NNTP offering late in June to 'Big-8'
(http://www.big-8.org) and its own customer support groups (0.verizon.*) grouping.