MobileGator

Default Word 2003 cannot open Word 2003 document

I recently installed Word 2003 on my new desktop computer running Windows XP.
I attempted to open a document that was originally created in Word 2002
with Word 2003 and received an error message: "Word experienced an error
trying to open the file. Try these suggestions.
* Check the file permissions for the document or drive
* Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space
* Open the file with the Text Recovery converter"
I tried suggestions 1 and 2 with no success. I have Word 2002 on my laptop
(also Windows XP) and the document can be opened with no problems on this
computer. This would indicate the document has not been corrupted. The
document is large (5MB) and is heavy on graphics (jpeg). Other documents
created with Word 2002 can be opened with the Word 2003 without problem. Any
ideas on what may be the problem with this document? Thank you.
MobileGator

Thanks for the reply. I tried what you suggested and still have the same
problem. I tried the document on two other computers, one running Word 2002
and another Word 2000 and the document opens without a problem on these
computers. There must be a problem with Word 2003 handling docs with lots
of graphics!

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Where is the doc when you are trying to open it on the 'new' system? If
_anywhere_ else, copy it to that system's hard drive and open it from there.

If you are trying to open a copy, perhaps the copy is corrupted. Take a
fresh copy from the original to the new system's HD and see if that makes a
difference.

Regards |:)

On 8/26/05 8:06 PM, in article
, "MobileGator"
wrote:

I recently installed Word 2003 on my new desktop computer running Windows XP.
I attempted to open a document that was originally created in Word 2002
with Word 2003 and received an error message: "Word experienced an error
trying to open the file. Try these suggestions.
* Check the file permissions for the document or drive
* Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space
* Open the file with the Text Recovery converter"
I tried suggestions 1 and 2 with no success. I have Word 2002 on my laptop
(also Windows XP) and the document can be opened with no problems on this
computer. This would indicate the document has not been corrupted. The
document is large (5MB) and is heavy on graphics (jpeg). Other documents
created with Word 2002 can be opened with the Word 2003 without problem. Any
ideas on what may be the problem with this document? Thank you.

CyberTaz

Sorry it was a no-go, but here are a few thoughts:

If you haven't already, rather than double-clicking the icon, launch Word
first and try opening the file with the regular Open File command...
Although I suspect you have tried both ways with the same result, soooo

On a system where you can open the file, select everything _but_ the last ¶,
copy & paste into a new blank doc, then Save the file & copy it over to the
other system's HD.

Regards |:)

On 8/29/05 4:48 PM, in article
, "MobileGator"

wrote:

[...]

MobileGator

After opening the document on several machines, including one running Word
2003, I decided to just uninstall and reinstall Office 2003 on my computer.
I tried the repair option first, but that did not work. I ended up
uninstalling Office 2003, rebooting, then doing a total reinstall. I could
then open the document. I guess sometimes you just have to back up and punt!
Thanks CyberTaz for your input.