Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Default Change field to text (Ctl+Shift+F9) not working?

I have autonumbering in a document. I tried Ctrl+A, the Ctrl+Shift+F9 to
change all the fields to static text, but it didn't work. Then I tried
selecting each field separately, and it still didn't work. What am I doing
wrong? (Word XP on Windows XP)

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Although these numbers *are* fields, this technique doesn't work on them.
Here's something that does, courtesy of Stefan Blom:

To convert autonumbering (paragraph/outline numbering and LISTNUM
fields) to plain text, do the following: Make sure the active
document is the one you want to convert. Then press ALT+F11 to
display the Visual Basic Editor. On the View menu, click
Immediate Window. In the Immediate Window, type

ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText

and press ENTER.

Note that if paragraph/outline numbering was applied with styles,
it isn't completely gone (CTRL+Q will bring it back!) unless you
also clear it from the style definitions.

"Ed" wrote in message
I have autonumbering in a document. I tried Ctrl+A, the Ctrl+Shift+F9 to
change all the fields to static text, but it didn't work. Then I tried
selecting each field separately, and it still didn't work. What am I

doing
wrong? (Word XP on Windows XP)

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

That was it! Thank you very much. I think I can make the editing staff
very happy with this!

Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Although these numbers *are* fields, this technique doesn't work on them.
Here's something that does, courtesy of Stefan Blom:

To convert autonumbering (paragraph/outline numbering and LISTNUM
fields) to plain text, do the following: Make sure the active
document is the one you want to convert. Then press ALT+F11 to
display the Visual Basic Editor. On the View menu, click
Immediate Window. In the Immediate Window, type

ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText

and press ENTER.

Note that if paragraph/outline numbering was applied with styles,
it isn't completely gone (CTRL+Q will bring it back!) unless you
also clear it from the style definitions.

so
all may benefit.

"Ed" wrote in message
I have autonumbering in a document. I tried Ctrl+A, the Ctrl+Shift+F9 to
change all the fields to static text, but it didn't work. Then I tried
selecting each field separately, and it still didn't work. What am I

doing
wrong? (Word XP on Windows XP)

Ed

What is the best way to set up this kind of formatting? [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 11 November 16th 06 11:40 PM
Suppressing Merge Field and text before/after julie Microsoft Word Help 8 November 14th 05 02:50 PM
Enter text in a field and have it appear as entered elsewhere Gregory Winters Microsoft Word Help 6 November 1st 05 02:09 AM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
Text Form Field Ref in Footer Won't Update on Screen StarWine Microsoft Word Help 3 December 6th 04 06:17 PM