Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
uncertain

Default How do I make links in Microsoft office automatically update

I have added links to Microsoft office and selected the automatically update
icon in the Links option of the Edits menu, but the links do not automatic
update. I still have to manually update the links when they change. What do
I need to do to make the links automatically update?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Ggo to ToolsOptionsGeneral and make sure there is a check in the box to
Update Automatic Links on Open.

If that doesn't do it, please specify Word/Windows versions as wll as what
type of files you linked _to_ when you post back.

HTH |:)

"uncertain" wrote:

I have added links to Microsoft office and selected the automatically update
icon in the Links option of the Edits menu, but the links do not automatic
update. I still have to manually update the links when they change. What do
I need to do to make the links automatically update?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
uncertain

I verified that there was a check in the "Update Automatic Links on Open"
under ToolsOptionsGeneral.

Per your request:
I have Windows XP and I am using Microsoft Word 2003.
The links start and end within the same Word document.

"uncertain" wrote:

I have added links to Microsoft office and selected the automatically update
icon in the Links option of the Edits menu, but the links do not automatic
update. I still have to manually update the links when they change. What do
I need to do to make the links automatically update?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Sorry about the delay getting back to you...

What type of 'links' are you takling about? I assumed you were referring to
externally linked files. Internal hyperlinks should require no updating, so
you must be referring to something else.

Regards |:)

"uncertain" wrote:

I have added links to Microsoft office and selected the automatically update
icon in the Links option of the Edits menu, but the links do not automatic
update. I still have to manually update the links when they change. What do
I need to do to make the links automatically update?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
uncertain

I have documents where I have to periodically change the same phrase in word
documents multiple times. Instead of having to change a phrase several times
throughout a document, I am looking for a method to change the same phrase is
designated locations throughout the document by linking all secondary phrases
to the one located on the first page of the document. That way by changing
the first phrase all of the other designated phrases are automatically
changed to match.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

"uncertain" wrote:

I have added links to Microsoft office and selected the automatically update
icon in the Links option of the Edits menu, but the links do not automatic
update. I still have to manually update the links when they change. What do
I need to do to make the links automatically update?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CEG CEG is offline

I have the exact same issue as "uncertain." I have looked at Greg Maxey's
option #4 (OLE Link) at the link below and it is exactly what I have done,
but I still have a problem getting the links to update automatically. I can
select the link and right click or Edit/Update Link and it will update.
However, if I try Edit/Links/Update Now, it does not update. The links are
set to "automatic" and there is a check in "Update Automatic Links on Open."
When I open the file, it asks me if I want to update links. I click yes and
it still does not update.

This is very frustrating as it used to work and has suddenly stopped for no
apparent reason.

I am also using Windows XP and Word 2003 and the links are within the same
document..
--
CG

"uncertain" wrote:

I have added links to Microsoft office and selected the automatically update
icon in the Links option of the Edits menu, but the links do not automatic
update. I still have to manually update the links when they change. What do
I need to do to make the links automatically update?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kelly Kelly is offline

Did you ever get this to work? I'm having the same problem. I've inserted
Links into the same Word Doc by using Copy, Paste Special, Insert Link and it
works on my computer and 1 other computer in our office, but not the others.
Help!

"uncertain" wrote:

I have added links to Microsoft office and selected the automatically update
icon in the Links option of the Edits menu, but the links do not automatic
update. I still have to manually update the links when they change. What do
I need to do to make the links automatically update?

Microsoft Office Activation Wizard disabled my legitimate Word deucy14 Microsoft Word Help 2 December 8th 05 02:29 AM
Office Update SP2 GR New Users 2 October 24th 05 10:01 AM
I get the message Microsoft Office 2000 premium error 1706 Fen dave Microsoft Word Help 1 August 2nd 05 02:58 PM
How can i make microsoft office word read out a document? ~~JETHRO~~ Microsoft Word Help 2 July 9th 05 05:42 PM
OT - some useful info Cynthia Microsoft Word Help 2 June 10th 05 02:31 AM