Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Geoplay Geoplay is offline

Default How to Install Greek language Characters to English UK Keyboard

I am trying to type in Greek in a Word document on an English (UK) keyboard.
When I try to set Greek as the additional languagein my Regional settings, I
receive a message that Greek characters are not currentle available, and
asking me to insert the Proofing Tools CD to install. When I do this, nothing
happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

To: Geoplay,

Perhaps there is a new (better) answer for Word 2007, but when using Word
2000, one needs Tavultesoft Keyman. See: http://members.aol.com/AtticGreek/

Although the file is for "Attic" Greek, it works with any unicode Greek.
I've been using this for years and it works great. It allows one to quickly
switch back and forth between typing in Greek and English. I have it set it
up so to type in Greek all I need to do is hit Alt + z and then in English
Alt + x. But I believe one can configure this just about anyway one wants.

Steven Craig Miller

"Geoplay" wrote:

I am trying to type in Greek in a Word document on an English (UK) keyboard.
When I try to set Greek as the additional languagein my Regional settings, I
receive a message that Greek characters are not currentle available, and
asking me to insert the Proofing Tools CD to install. When I do this, nothing
happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Why do you need TavulteSoft? It's necessary for the scripts
(languages) that MS hasn't gotten around to putting into Windows yet
(such as Amharic/Ge`ez), but in Windows XP you just go to Control
Panel Regional and Language Options Languages Details Add
Greek and then choose a keyboard. For Modern Greek, just choose
whichever one you're comfortable with; for Classical Greek with
accents, you have to go with Polytonic Greek.

All the Greek characters are in some of the standard fonts, such as
Tahoma; Times New Roman includes Greek, but it doesn't put the iota-
subscripts beneath the capital letters.(Maybe this is why it asks for
the Proofing Tools disk.)

OTOH, if you just need an occasional Greek word without accents or
breathings (or final sigma), you can simply use the Symbol font.

To: Geoplay,

"Geoplay" wrote:
I am trying to type in Greek in a Word document on an English (UK) keyboard.
When I try to set Greek as the additional languagein my Regional settings, I
receive a message that Greek characters are not currentle available, and
asking me to insert the Proofing Tools CD to install. When I do this, nothing
happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To: Grammatim,

in Windows XP you just go to Control Panel Regional and Language
Options Languages Details Add Greek and then choose a keyboard. For
Modern Greek, just choose whichever one you're comfortable with; for
Classical Greek with
accents, you have to go with Polytonic Greek.

Ok, this is interesting. I've followed the above instructions. But when it
came time to choose a keyboard, all I saw was "Classical Greek," I didn't see
"Polytonic Greek." In addition, when I opened a Word document I was still
typing in English letters and not Greek even though the language bar is
active.

Any other suggestions?

Steven Craig Miller
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

To: Grammatim,

Thanks! I've gotten it to work.

Steven Craig Miller

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On May 27, 2:19*pm, StevenM stevencraigmiller(at)comcast(dot)net
wrote:
To: Grammatim,

Thanks! I've gotten it to work.

Steven Craig Miller

In case there are any bystanders ... I perhaps should have mentioned
that you need to choose Greek as your keyboard language from the
Language Bar (or better, its teeny icon in the Status Bar), and then
you have to remember to go back to English when you're done.

To see what the keys are (supposed to be) doing, go to On-Screen
Keyboard in Start All Programs Accessories Accessibility. Choose
your typing language while your cursor is in the document that you
want to have affected, and then when you hover over the on-screen
keyboard, it changes to Greek. The first several times it's easier to
type by clicking on the keys there -- but after you're used to it, you
can change the input method to "hover for half a second," and then
after a few times, it'll be familar enough that you can use your
physical keyboard.

(Did you get access to the additional keyboards? Does the one labeled
"Classical" give you all the accents?)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

To: Grammatim,

Did you get access to the additional keyboards? Does the one labeled
"Classical" give you all the accents?

I got it switched over to the Greek Polytonic (I guess I wasn't as careful
the first time as I should have been).

I'll use it and see what I think. At least one Website suggested that using
the Tavultesoft Keyman keyboard was easier. But I think it will simply be a
matter of getting used to it.

Steven Craig Miller
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On May 27, 3:31*pm, StevenM stevencraigmiller(at)comcast(dot)net
wrote:
To: Grammatim,

Did you get access to the additional keyboards? Does the one labeled
"Classical" give you all the accents?

I got it switched over to the Greek Polytonic (I guess I wasn't as careful
the first time as I should have been).

I'll use it and see what I think. At least one Website suggested that using
the Tavultesoft Keyman keyboard was easier. But I think it will simply be a
matter of getting used to it.

The fewer added-in bells and whistles, the better, probably. I'll put
it back the next time I need to type Ethiopic. (My introduction to
these newsgroups was when I asked in the PowerPoint one why my
Ethiopic examples didn't show up when my presentation was shown via CD
using a different computer -- even though it claimed to have Embedded
All Fonts, it turned out it hadn't. If I'd stayed in Tahoma instead of
using a nicer-looking one -- the one that came with TavulteSoft --, I
probaby would have been ok. The answer turned out to be some arcane
method Windows uses for accessing or replacing fonts whose names it
doesn't recognize )
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you are unsure of the key positions you can use the on-screen keyboard
(all programs Accessories Accessibility) as a reminder - or you could
simply add a cheap Greek keyboard, should you need to use it a lot.

To: Grammatim,