Daveybau

Default how to insert and excel worksheet into a word document?

I am attempting to insert an excel worksheet into a word document. I've tried
the obvious by using insert, file, etc., but that brings me to a box (file
conversion) that is unreadable.

any suggestions? please help!

David
garfield-n-odie

Start Word and Excel. In Excel, open the worksheet, select the cells
you want to insert into Word, and press Ctrl+C to copy the cells to the
Windows clipboard. Switch to Word. Click on Edit | Paste Special |
Paste: As: Picture or Microsoft Excel Object | OK. If you paste as a
picture into Word, the resulting Word file will be smaller, but the
contents of the Excel picture cannot be edited. If you paste as a
Microsoft Excel object into Word, the resulting Word file will be
larger, but the Excel object can be edited from Word by double-clicking
on the object.

Daveybau wrote:

I am attempting to insert an excel worksheet into a word document. I've tried
the obvious by using insert, file, etc., but that brings me to a box (file
conversion) that is unreadable.

any suggestions? please help!

David

JasonJ1052

This is a fine fine solution, to copy and paste, however, why not instead fix
the problem where Word will not let you do "File/Insert" and then insert an
Excel file?
I know there is a conversion tool that should recognize the file as Excel
and convert it to a Word table, however we have over 100 computers where I
work and only 1 does it correctly.
Instead of a work around, is there a way to actually FIX the problem?

Daveybau wrote:

I am attempting to insert an excel worksheet into a word document. I've tried
the obvious by using insert, file, etc., but that brings me to a box (file
conversion) that is unreadable.

any suggestions? please help!

David

garfield-n-odie

There is no Insert command under the File menu, so the problem
could be that you're doing it wrong. Once you figure out how to
insert a file, then inserting an Excel file into Word is not a
problem if the Excel32.cnv text converter is installed.

Daveybau wrote:

I am attempting to insert an excel worksheet into a word document. I've tried
the obvious by using insert, file, etc., but that brings me to a box (file
conversion) that is unreadable.

any suggestions? please help!

David

JasonJ1052

Sorry, I meant Insert/File, not File/Insert.

I will investigate this "Excel32.cnv" but I have yet to see this listed in
any of the help files regarding this problem.

Daveybau wrote:

I am attempting to insert an excel worksheet into a word document. I've tried
the obvious by using insert, file, etc., but that brings me to a box (file
conversion) that is unreadable.

any suggestions? please help!

David

garfield-n-odie

You should find this file in the TextConv folder on hard drive of
the one computer that "does it correctly". Just copy it to the
corresponding folder on the other computers' hard drives.

Daveybau wrote:

I am attempting to insert an excel worksheet into a word document. I've tried
the obvious by using insert, file, etc., but that brings me to a box (file
conversion) that is unreadable.

any suggestions? please help!

David

JasonJ1052

Just tried it, it didn't work. I suspect it also need to be added to the
Registry along with the other converters, and I do not have authorization to
edit the registry on work computers.

I have however found that this converter was removed by Microsoft,
apparently due to security concerns, so it is not even in the Resource Kit
anymore.

The feature *did* exist prior to 2003, as I have been teaching MS Office
classes for 8 years and the functionality was there up to the point we
installed 2003 earlier this year.

I expect on the one machine it does work on they did not install the way
everyone else did. Instead of unintalling XP and installing 2003, they likely
did an upgrade, thus preserving the converters already installed on the
system.

One more example of destroying software in the name of security.

Thanks for you help in finding the name of the conversion file!

Daveybau wrote:

I am attempting to insert an excel worksheet into a word document. I've tried
the obvious by using insert, file, etc., but that brings me to a box (file
conversion) that is unreadable.

any suggestions? please help!

David

Graham Mayor

It should not need adding to the registry. The file itself is available for
download from my web site. Microsoft did indeed remove this (and others)
filter in an overreaction to criticisms about their software's lax security.

Although Excel does not appear in the file type list, you can select all
files and pick the excel file from the list and the filter will activate.

The registry patch to make it work for *exporting to Excel* is:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Text
Converters\Export\Excel]
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Microsoft
Shared\\Textconv\\excel32.cnv"
"Name"="Excel"
"Extensions"="xls"