Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SixSigmaGuy SixSigmaGuy is offline

Default How to adjust the horizontal spacing after a period between senten

Our writing guide at my company tells us to use only one space, rather than
two, after a period and before the first character of the next sentence. The
reason it says to do this is because modern word processors automatically add
horizontal room between sentences, and if we type in two spaces, it will
double the room and be too much. But, as far as I can tell, Microsoft Word
doesn't add any room. When I type two sentences and only put a single space
between them, they look too crowded. Is there a setting I can specify that
will increase the room between two sentences without having to type in two
spaces?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You're probably used to seeing typed materials that did it that way.
If you'll check printed books, you'll see they don't have any more
space between sentences than between words within sentences.

On Jan 9, 10:07*pm, SixSigmaGuy
wrote:
Our writing guide at my company tells us to use only one space, rather than
two, after a period and before the first character of the next sentence. *The
reason it says to do this is because modern word processors automatically add
horizontal room between sentences, and if we type in two spaces, it will
double the room and be too much. *But, as far as I can tell, Microsoft Word
doesn't add any room. *When I type two sentences and only put a single space
between them, they look too crowded. *Is there a setting I can specify that
will increase the room between two sentences without having to type in two
spaces?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

You will want to set your default thusly:

Format | Font | Character Spacing.
Click to create a check mark in Kerning for Fonts and set it to 12 points
and above.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP