Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
afdmello afdmello is offline

Default Remove paragraphs

I have a doc from Pdf that is pasted into word and now there are many
paragraph marks and I want the text continuous can I remove them using find
and replace? what is the syntax to be used please

afd

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Willy Willy is offline

If you just need to remove the excess paragraph marks (and they really are
paragraph marks, which I suspect they are) you can use Find and Replace:

Search for ^p^p and replace with ^p so at least one paragraph mark is left
at the end of each paragraph. That way you can still see the paragraphs. If
you really want to remove all paragraph marks, replace with nothing.

Note that you may have to repeat the process a few times before all excess
marks are replaced.

After doing this you could replace ^p with ^p^t, a paragraph mark and a tab.
That way each paragraph will start with an indent which I feel is easier to
read.

Willy

"afdmello" wrote:

I have a doc from Pdf that is pasted into word and now there are many
paragraph marks and I want the text continuous can I remove them using find
and replace? what is the syntax to be used please

afd

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You might as well start by replacing ^p^p with ^p^t, but it would be better
to apply a first-line indent to each of the paragraphs, better still to
apply a style that includes the first line indent, such as Body Text First
Indent.

http://word.mvps.org

"afdmello" wrote:

I have a doc from Pdf that is pasted into word and now there are many
paragraph marks and I want the text continuous can I remove them using
find
and replace? what is the syntax to be used please

afd

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Willy Willy is offline

Hi Suzanne,

You might as well start by replacing ^p^p with ^p^t

This will only work when there are exactly two paragraph marks between
paragraphs.

If there are more they will not all be found on the first pass and if some
of the pairs have been replaced by ^p^t they won't be found on the next
pass(es).

Willy

"afdmello" wrote:

I have a doc from Pdf that is pasted into word and now there are many
paragraph marks and I want the text continuous can I remove them using
find
and replace? what is the syntax to be used please

afd

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's like a Towers of Hanoi puzzle. You have to use some _third_ mark:
first replace all ^p^p with ^l (or any other character that doesn't
appear anywhere in the document yet), then replace all ^p with either
nothing or space (depending on how the text was formatted), and then
replace the intermediate character with ^p.

Hi Suzanne,