Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kathy MacAthur

Default Word/Access Merge and duplicate lines at end/beginning of page

Hi everyone - hope someone can help.

I have a 130 page document that I "personalize" using Access and merge with
a word document that contains the merge codes. I merge ten documents at a
time into a 1,300 page document that gets printed.

My problem is that every once in a while on one of two pages of the merged
document - a line from the bottom of one page shows up (is repeated) at the
top of the next page. Everyone thinks we've made a typing mistake but we
haven't - Access/Word has generated the duplicate line. This problem occurs
rarely but can be duplicated using the same template and merge info when the
duplicate does appear. Seems very odd... MS gremlins???

I've viewed the document via control - shift - asterisk and everything
looks fine but I'm not sure what I should look for in the way of unwanted
codes. I see paragraph tags with a small square in front and paragraph tags
with a dot in front - but they are throughout the document so I don't think
this is the problem.

Any suggestion or comments would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Kathy,

I have a 130 page document that I "personalize" using Access and merge with
a word document that contains the merge codes. I merge ten documents at a
time into a 1,300 page document that gets printed.

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing, here. Are you saying you merge the
130 page document with 10 records? Or is there another step/document in here?

My initial reaction was, it must be some kind of document corruption.

After reading about the squares in front of the paragraph marks (which is
decidedly not "normal"), I still lean in that direction, although there may be
other factors at work. Was this document (or any part of it) originally
imported from another file format? WordPerfect, for example?

If you press Alt+F9 (toggles field codes on/off) then use Edit/Find to search
Private, do you turn up anything that looks like { PRIVATE }?

My problem is that every once in a while on one of two pages of the merged
document - a line from the bottom of one page shows up (is repeated) at the
top of the next page. Everyone thinks we've made a typing mistake but we
haven't - Access/Word has generated the duplicate line. This problem occurs
rarely but can be duplicated using the same template and merge info when the
duplicate does appear. Seems very odd... MS gremlins???

I've viewed the document via control - shift - asterisk and everything
looks fine but I'm not sure what I should look for in the way of unwanted
codes. I see paragraph tags with a small square in front and paragraph tags
with a dot in front - but they are throughout the document so I don't think
this is the problem.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org