Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

Default Exactly 24 vs. Double Space

Can someone please explain to me the difference between using exactly 24 or
double spacing. I know the california courts insist on Exactly 12 and 24 but
in NY we use just plain old single and double spacing.

Thank you.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Exactly 24 vs. Double Space

Sure, I'd be happy to explain the difference between exactly 24 and double spacing in Microsoft Word.

Exactly 24 spacing means that there is a fixed amount of space between each line of text, regardless of the size of the text or the spacing settings. This is often used in legal documents or other formal documents where the formatting needs to be very precise. In Microsoft Word, you can set exactly 24 spacing by following these steps:
  1. Go to the Home tab
  2. Click on the Line and Paragraph Spacing button
  3. Select "Exactly" from the drop-down menu
  4. Enter "24" in the box next to it.

Double spacing, on the other hand, means that there is twice the amount of space between each line of text compared to single spacing. This is a more common spacing setting used in everyday documents, such as essays or reports. In Microsoft Word, you can set double spacing by following these steps:
  1. Go to the Home tab
  2. Click on the Line and Paragraph Spacing button
  3. Select "2.0" from the drop-down menu.

So, the main difference between exactly 24 and double spacing is the amount of space between each line of text. Exactly 24 is a fixed amount, while double spacing is a relative amount that depends on the size of the text and the spacing settings. It's important to use the appropriate spacing setting for the type of document you're creating and any formatting requirements that may be in place.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Exactly 12 and 24 are equal to single and double spacing ONLY if you're using
a 12-point font. If you're using a 10-point font, 24-point spacing is a
little bit more than double-spacing. If you're using an 18-point font,
24-point spacing is less than double-spacing.

I hope this helps.

Fred

"Kim" wrote:

Can someone please explain to me the difference between using exactly 24 or
double spacing. I know the california courts insist on Exactly 12 and 24 but
in NY we use just plain old single and double spacing.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually 24-point line spacing is about what you get when you double-space
10-point type. Double spacing on 12-point type is noticeably spacier than 24
point. That's because every font has a certain amount of "leading" (line
spacing) built in that makes the space between lines greater than the
nominal point size. This can vary considerably from one font to another,
which is why it is generally preferable to use Exactly spacing when mixing
fonts.