Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Steve Cherne

Default How to position a paragraph at the bottom of the last page

I have got a fixed paragraph that needs to be put at the bottom of the last
page of a document (or the bottom of the first page if the document is only
one page long). I have tried footers and section positioning but can't get
them to work properly. Word seems to only respect the page positioning for a
section if the page begins with that section. When my document is one page
long, the paragraph that should be at the bottom, is continuous with the
paragraph in the section above it. Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks,
Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tony Jollans

Put the text in the footer, like this ..

Press Ctrl+F9, Type IF, Type space
Press Ctrl F9, Type PAGE
Move cursor past the right brace after page
Type space, type =, type space
Press Ctrl+F9, Type NUMPAGES
Move cursor past the right brace after numpages
Type ""

Enter your paragraph between the quotes
Press Alt+F9 to toggle field codes display.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Steve Cherne" wrote in message
I have got a fixed paragraph that needs to be put at the bottom of the

last
page of a document (or the bottom of the first page if the document is

only
one page long). I have tried footers and section positioning but can't

get
them to work properly. Word seems to only respect the page positioning

for a
section if the page begins with that section. When my document is one

page
long, the paragraph that should be at the bottom, is continuous with the
paragraph in the section above it. Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks,
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Steve Cherne

Sorry Tony, I should have been a little more specific. I already have a
footer that is going on each page. And since Word won't let there be more
than 1 footer per page, your suggestion won't work in this case. Microsoft
really needs to allow more than 1 footer per page (probably up to 3; section
footer, page footer, document footer). I have also tried footnotes and
endnotes, which looked promising. Footnotes can be put on the bottom of a
page but include a dashed line above the footnote area that I can't seem to
suppress. Endnotes looked like they would work, but they can't be positioned
at the bottom of a page. Right now I am investigating putting the text into
a table and positioning the table at the bottom of the page. However there
appears to be a problem in that sometimes Word will respect the page footer
and other times it will overprint the page footer. Hopefully, someone has
got a solution.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Daiya Mitchell

You can suppress the line between footnotes and text, though I don't think
you can get rid of the space entirely. See #5, Random Lines, on this page:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/footnotefaq.htm

Your suggestion of a document footer, section footer, and page footer is
very intriguing. Try posting it as a Suggestion from the MS Office Online
newsgroup interface.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In addition to Daiya's suggestion, note that you *can* have a different
footer on the last page; you just need to use an IF field. The general
syntax is:

{ IF { PAGE } = { NUMPAGES } "Text you want on the last page" "Text you want
on previous pages" }

The "text" between quotes can be anything you can paste in, including
tables, graphics, AutoText fields, etc.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tony Jollans

You don't need to have a separate footer. Just add the conditional text at
the beginning of the footer you already have. That way it will appear at the
start of the footer when the condition is true (on the last page), and won't
appear when the condition is false (on other pages). It doesn't have to
interfere with other footer content in any way.

--

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Steve Cherne

Suzanne,

Thanks for your solution. I think this is just what I need. One question:
how do you put a table into the TRUE condition? You mentioned that this can
be done in your answer, but I can't seem to make it work.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If Copy/Paste doesn't work, then save the table as an AutoText entry and
insert it using an AutoText field.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In addition to Daiya's suggestion, note that you *can* have a different
footer on the last page; you just need to use an IF field. The general
syntax is:

{ IF { PAGE } = { NUMPAGES } "Text you want on the last page" "Text you

want
on previous pages" }

The "text" between quotes can be anything you can paste in, including
tables, graphics, AutoText fields, etc.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

In your template, insert a field such as the following:

{ ADVANCE \Y 720pt }

END OF DOCUMENT

You may need to change the 720 to another figure to get the text to appear
where you want it and you can replace END OF DOCUMENT with the text that you
want to appear.

This will just move from page to page as you enter text into the document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Steve Cherne" wrote in message
I have got a fixed paragraph that needs to be put at the bottom of the last
page of a document (or the bottom of the first page if the document is
only
one page long). I have tried footers and section positioning but can't
get
them to work properly. Word seems to only respect the page positioning
for a
section if the page begins with that section. When my document is one
page
long, the paragraph that should be at the bottom, is continuous with the
paragraph in the section above it. Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks,
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Steve,

I have got a fixed paragraph that needs to be put at the bottom of the last
page of a document (or the bottom of the first page if the document is only
one page long).

Something I use on occasion is a Frame (or Textbox) formatted relative to the
page. this can be anchored in the page text (for a single page) or in the
header/footer (for multiple pages).

Just to give you one more thing to think about :-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org