Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NewToEW NewToEW is offline

Default Spell Checker Not Working in Office 2007

I, apparently as several from reviewing the posts, cannot get the Spell
Checker to work in Office 2007. This includes Word, Excel and Outlook (not
Outlook Express).

I have checked all the obvious, such as:

Primary Language is: English (US)
Keyboard is: English (US)
Proofing Options in Word, etc.: Set properly for automatic spell checking
(although when I force a spell check on a word that I purposely misspelled,
it still fails).

Speaking of forcing a spell check operation, it returns the message:
Spelling and Grammar check complete, but it does not catch any misspellings,
ONLY the grammar errors.

The status bar on the bottom of any Word document brings up a small pop-up
menu with several options, one of which is "Customize Status Bar". Language
is checked, but there is nothing associated with it, and checking it on and
off does nothing to the status bar, nor does it present any type of window to
allow for language selection.

If I take the document to a computer running Word 2000, it spell checks just
fine.

Does anyone have anymore specific information on how this can be corrected?
It seems like this might be a flaw in Office 2007, but I can't seem to find
any workaround for it.
--
Thanks, COOP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Select all the text - CTRL+A. On the review tab proofing group click
'set language' (or click the language icon in the status bar at the bottom
of the Word screen). Ensure that your language of choice is selected and
that 'do not check spelling or grammar and 'detect language automatically'
are unchecked.

NewToEW wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NewToEW NewToEW is offline

Graham,

Thanks for your quick response. I followed your instructions exactly, and
it still does not catch any spelling errors, only the grammar errors.

Interestingly enough, I do not have any language icon at the bottom of my
Word status bar, regardless of how many places I select "English (US)" as my
language.

It behaves like it still doesn't recognize the language, although the
grammar is working correctly for English (US), or the dictionary is empty.

Any additional thoughts on this?
--
Thanks, COOP

NewToEW wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Have you tried doing a repair on Office 2007? Since this is affecting
multiple 2007 applications, I would think that it's a broader issue than
what's happening in Word. You can access repair from the Control Panel's
Add/Remove Programs applet.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

NewToEW wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NewToEW NewToEW is offline

Herb,

I appreciate your quick response. I went into the Control Panel -
Add/Remove Programs Applet and found that Microsoft Office 2007 only allows
"uninstall" or "change". Repair doesn't appear to be a choice. Since I am
on the road and running Office 2007 on a laptop, I don't have the software
with me to reload.

I'll try uninstalling and reloading when I get back home.
--
Thanks, COOP

NewToEW wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, in Add/Remove, if you choose Change, the next screen will give you
an option to repair.

Alternatively, you can initiate repair from an Office 2007 application. From
Word 2007, try this:

Office button - Word Options - Resources - Diagnose.

This will also let you repair Office.

Luck to you,

--

NewToEW wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NewToEW NewToEW is offline

Herb,

Tried the "repair" feature. It successfully completed the repair, but that
did not get the speller checker to catch spelling errors.

Any other thoughts? This one is perplexing, and somewhat frustrating
because I bought a laptop from Gateway with Microsoft Small Business Office
2007 preloaded and Gateway's support for this product is only to do
"uninstall and reinstall", and Microsoft won't provide support for an "OEM"
product. Of course Microsoft will provide support for $49.00 per call. So,
here I am, sitting between a rock and a hard place - having spent good money
on the Office 2007 Suite with no one accepting support during the warranty
period.

Any other suggestions would be very appreciated. You can get a feel for
what I have already done and what has been suggested by looking through the
posts.

As of now, Office 2007 has a big hole as far as I am concerned.

--
Thanks, COOP

NewToEW wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Here's a thought... remove the proofing tools, reboot, then reinstall them.

In Add/Remove programs, Change - Add or Remove Features - Continue - Office
Shared Features - Proofing Tools, set to Not Available (unless they already
ARE unavailable, in which case we've found your problem)... then click
Continue, and follow the prompts.

Once done, reboot. Why? Because.

Now, go through the same steps, only this time, set Proofing to Run All From
My Computer. Yeah, even the French and Spanish (you can remove them later if
this works).

Does this make spelling work?