dnharris14

Default Slow opening doc: "Word is finishing analyzing your document" mess

This issue is ridiculous. I have posted the same question to a number
of newsgroups and forums. No one seems to know why this message
appears or what it is doing. The response to this post doesn't seem to
work either as out office does not have the office plug-in to NAV
installed. This is a truly frustrating and aggravating issue that I
wish Microsoft would address in their Knowledge Base. Larraine and I
can not be the only two people in the world that see this message and
are frustrated by the delays and crashes. I have tried all of the same
methods as Larraine with the same result, that is no result. Does
anyone know what is going on, or is it a cosmic joke that only Larraine
and I are duped by?

garfield-n-odie Wrote:
If some version of Norton/Symantec Antivirus is installed on your
computer,
try turning off the Office Plugin that comes with it. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use Office programs
with
the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for more info.

"Larraine W." wrote:
-
Since moving to Office 2003, when opening some large Word docs,
message on
status bar reads:"Word is finishing analyzing your document" then a
progress
bar and then "Press ESC to cancel." Hourglass remains until
analyzing
finished, and for 100+ page docs can take several minutes. Pressing
ESC
mutiple times sometimes stops the analyzing, but not always,
especially for
very large docment. Have tried turning off spelling and grammar
checking,
smart tags, allow fast saves is off, and other options that might
cause
"analyzing" on opening. We have LOTS of very large docs (depositions
from
litigation matters) and some of them actually freeze the application
and we
can't get them open. All suggestions are welcomed-

--
dnharris14
Larraine W

Actually, since posting this question, we found a workaround way to deal with
it. We use Hummingbird DM for a doc mgmt system, and the following steps
refer to "DM". Maybe this will help you, dnharris.

1) Export the DM doc to My Documents
2) In My Documents, right click on the exported file and choose Open with
Wordpad (not Notepad)
3) When open in Wordpad: File Save As choose type of "Unicode text
document".
4) Right click on that .txt version of the file and choose Open with
Microsoft Word. You will get a conversion dialog with Encoded text already
selected. Click OK.
5) If you get a File Conversion dialog asking which encoding to use to make
your document readable, it should already have Unicode selected, so click OK.

6) Once opened in Word, to change any little blank boxes into dashes, which
is what they should be, use Edit/Replace. Select and copy ONE of the boxes,
click Edit Replace and in the Find What field press Ctrl+V to paste what
you copied (it will just show as a dash). In the Replace With field put a
hypen; then click Replace All.
7) Save as a Word doc: File Save As. Cancel the DM dialog and in the
Save as type filed choose "Word document.doc"
8) To import this as a second version of your DM doc, right click on the DM
doc, choose Versions & Attachments. Right click on the version 1 of your doc
and choose Import Version from File. Complete Comments as necessary.

"Larraine W." wrote:
-
[...]

dnharris14

Thank you LarraineW for the insight. I had never heard of Hummingbird.
However, as an architectural spec writer I deal with hundreds of masters
and
at least 100 job specific documents for each project, and 4 or 5
projects going at once. I do not have the time to go through that
procedure for every one of these documents. I just need thenm to open
when I click on them. I really wish Microsoft woud just explain what
it is and fix it somehow. Again thank you for your assistance.

-

"Larraine W." wrote:
-
[...]

I think no one has answered because no one is familiar with the problem. I
have encountered this message only once before (not personally, but in
another question), and I can find nothing about it in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base, which leads me to suspect that it is not coming from Word
but from some add-in or document management system, such as that mentioned
by the previous poster.

. ..

-

"Larraine W." wrote:
-
[...]

garfield-n-odie

This is the same guy who posted the other question.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

have encountered this message only once before (not personally, but in
another question)

No, I got a question about this through AllExperts once. I was totally
bamboozled by it then, too.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

have encountered this message only once before (not personally, but in
another question)

garfield-n-odie

The one I was thinking about is
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...c69 735c3062e
..

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

No, I got a question about this through AllExperts once. I was totally
bamboozled by it then, too.

Hmm. I'd forgotten about that one. In dealing with that, I may have drawn on
some vague recollection of my answer to the August 11, 2004, AllExperts
question, which I answered as follows:

I've never seen this particular message, and I'm not sure what it might
imply. Several thoughts come to mind:

1. Did you upgrade from an earlier version of Word? If so, Word could be
converting older documents. I really don't think this is likely, though,
as I did upgrade, and I've never seen this message.

2. It's conceivable the message is coming from your virus scanner, if it's
one that has an Office Plug-in, such as Norton AntiVirus, but again, I
think that's unlikely, as those plug-ins (which, by the way, we recommend
disabling) usually give a message such as "Performing virus scan."

3. When I type "analyze" into the Answer Wizard, I pull up Help topics
related to the AutoFormat, AutoSummarize, and language AutoDetect
features, and the whole area of "auto" stuff seems like the most likely
explanation. Smart Tags are another new feature that comes to mind. You
might see whether you still get this message is you disable Smart Tags
(Smart Tags tab of Tools | AutoCorrect Options) and turn off most of the
AutoFormat As You Type options (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm).

4. Another possibility is that the document contains links. If you have
"Update automatic links at Open" checked on the General tab of Tools |
Options, Word could be updating those links. Or, if it's a mail merge main
document, Word could be searching for the data source.

If it seems I'm grasping at straws, I guess I am. It would help to know
more about what sort of document this is, but perhaps the above will give
you some leads in tracking down the source of the message.

.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

No, I got a question about this through AllExperts once. I was totally
bamboozled by it then, too.

dnharris14

YIIIIIIII HAAAAAAAA!

I think I have this figured out. I'm not sure how to fix it, but I
think I know what causes it. I have two templates that load with word
along with normal.dot, MWorks32Y.dot and PDFMaker.dot. MWorks32Y is a
specifications editing tool that I have been using for years.
PDFMaker.dot gets added when Acrobat is installed. Under Tools,
Templates and Add-Ins, both are checked, so I did a little experiment.
When PDFMaker.dot is checked, either alone on in conjunction with
MWorks32Y, I get the message that Word is analyzing....When MWorks32Y
is checked alone the message does not appear and the document, even a
large 50 page document, opens normally.

Now, if I could only figure out why PDFMaker is doing that. Next
stop...Adobe.com. Thank you for the input, it got me thinking in the
right direction.

dnharris14

Suzanne S. Barnhill Wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote in
message
...-
The one I was thinking about is
-
http://tinyurl.com/6nb6r-
.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
-
No, I got a question about this through AllExperts once. I was
totally
bamboozled by it then, too.
-
-

--
dnharris14

dnharris14

In my own nonprofessional opinion, there is a compatability problem
between Acrobat 6.0 and Word 2003. Adobe wants you to upgrade to
Acrobat 7.0, hence the reason this never happened using Word 2000.
Microsoft Knowledge Base article 821716 gives instructions regarding
detecting and fixing the problem. It is fairly convoluted, but in the
end, if you are pretty sure the problem is PDFMaker.dot, go to the
office11\startup folder and rename the file to PDFMaker.wbt. Word 2003
now starts up without loading the PDF add-in and my documents open like
they are supposed to.

dnharris14 Wrote:
And yes folks, it has been me posting the same question in a number of
areas. Sorry.

dnharris14

--
dnharris14
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Dnharris14,

I really wish Microsoft woud just explain what
it is and fix it somehow.

In over 12 years using Word I've never seen the message.
And this message thread is the first mention I've seen in
eight years of on-line support. That, plus Larraine's
helpful outline of their situation, makes it fairly certain
that this problem does not come from Microsoft, or their
product, but is the affect of some third-party software
interfering with Word's normal execution. You have to look
for the problem on your system/installation. If you work
for a company, ask your IT department.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Graham Mayor

There is no compatibility problem if you have the compatibility update from
Adobe. However the Acrobat add-in is poorly written and can conflict with
other add-ins. There are better methods of controlling the add-in - see
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 03:01 AM
Word 2003 hangs while opening a document with turkish symbols Olma Microsoft Word Help 1 December 7th 04 07:50 PM