Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
doney doney is offline

Default Labels

How do I change Text Direction on a label template without changing the size
of the label?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

A label template is only a document containing a table. (If you don't
see the table cells, click Table Show Gridlines.) Select the table,
right-click, and click Text Direction. Or display the Table toolbar
and use the Text Direction button there.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:36:02 -0700, doney
wrote:

How do I change Text Direction on a label template without changing the size
of the label?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
doney doney is offline

I know how to change Text Direction, but when I do change the Text Direction
the size of the label changes. I am using the 5266 (file folder labels)
label template.

wrote:

How do I change Text Direction on a label template without changing the size
of the label?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

When you say you're using the 5266 label template, do you mean that you used
the Tools Letters & Mailings Envelopes & Labels dialog, selected the
5266 label in the options, and clicked New Document? Or are you using a
document downloaded from the Avery web page
(http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=...arecode=4060)?

In either case, in the Table Table Properties Rows dialog, the row
height should be set to an Exact value. The Labels dialog sets it
automatically, and Avery's document comes with that setting. If that's
selected, the height of the cells won't change regardless of the text
direction.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

How do I change Text Direction on a label template without changing
the size of the label?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
doney doney is offline

I am using the 5266 label template from ToolsLetters & MailingsEnvelopes &
Labels dialog then selected the 5266 and clicked new document. When I am in
that document where I want to type I go to Format Text Direction and the
label GETS bigger. It changes the size. I even looked to double check that
the Properties were set to Exact Value, and they were. I am so confused.

wrote:

How do I change Text Direction on a label template without changing
the size of the label?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you viewing the labels in Print Layout view? Note that they will not
display correctly in Normal view.

&

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

When you say you're using the 5266 label template, do you mean that you

used
the Tools Letters & Mailings Envelopes & Labels dialog, selected the
5266 label in the options, and clicked New Document? Or are you using a
document downloaded from the Avery web page

(http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=...&catalogcod e
=WEB01&softwarecode=4060)?

wrote:

How do I change Text Direction on a label template without changing
the size of the label?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
doney doney is offline

Yes I am viewing the labels in Print Layout view. Have you tried doing this?
Is it changing the size of your labels?

wrote:

How do I change Text Direction on a label template without changing
the size of the label?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Okay, I just tried, and, yes, it does change the size of the cells. This is
very perverse. The only solution I can think of is to note the original
height of the rows (Exactly 0.54" for the labels and Exactly 0.13" for the
separator rows) and reapply these settings to the table rows after changing
the text direction. This will be much easier if you use the old Table | Cell
Height and Width dialog (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...ePropProbs.htm) because then after
formatting one row correctly (note that you can type in the amount in inches
even though the dialog shows points), you can select the remaining rows of
the same type (apparently only one at a time, however) and press F4 to
repeat the formatting (F4 doesn't work in the Table Properties dialog,
unfortunately). Then repeat for the other type of rows.

Can you tell us more about what you're trying to accomplish, though? Perhaps
we can think of a better approach. Changing the text direction on file
folder labels seems very odd, since so little space would fit sideways on
these labels.

wrote:

How do I change Text Direction on a label template without

changing
the size of the label?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
doney doney is offline

Ok so I will try that. Well the reason why I am trying to do that is because
I work in a law office and we put side labels on our file folders, for
example:

06-
5002

E,

The reason for the side label is so when we file the files in our vault we
can easily see the side label not the top. That is how our vault is set up.
Right now we are typing the labels on a typewriter but that is a pain and we
wanted something a little easier and more efficient.

wrote:

How do I change Text Direction on a label template without

changing
the size of the label?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That being the case, I would suggest that it would be a lot simpler to
create a new label definition for the labels the way you're using them. Turn
the sheet sideways (landscape) and measure the needed dimensions that way.
Then go to Label Options and click New Label. Choose "Letter landscape" as
the paper size and enter the appropriate settings for the labels viewed that
way. Then you won't have to change the text direction (which will make it
lot easier for you to see what you're doing when you enter the text, too).

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

A label template is only a document containing a table. (If

you
don't
see the table cells, click Table Show Gridlines.) Select

the
table,
right-click, and click Text Direction. Or display the Table

toolbar
and use the Text Direction button there.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the

wrote:

How do I change Text Direction on a label template without

changing
the size of the label?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
doney doney is offline

I am having some problems setting up the page. I don't know it says
something about the margins are wrong. I don't know. But I did get it to
work with the template they have and changing text direction. But your right
if I could set up the page to be landscape that would be so much easier and I
would like it much better. But I am not very computer literate and I can't
seem to set the page up right. If you have a simple way to do that I would
like to hear your suggestions. Thanks