Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Evelyn-Singapore Evelyn-Singapore is offline

Default File Saved in Blue color font instead of usual black

Hi! Recently I noted that my files saved in MS office is no longer in the
usual black font. It sometimes becomes blue font. Is there any meaning to
the files that are in blue? Why is there a change in font color when I did
not make any change in my settings.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Files shown in blue are compressed. Right-click the file's icon,
select Properties, and click the Advanced button in the dialog. You'll
find that "Compress contents to save disk space" is checked.

If you didn't do this, someone or something else did.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:25:01 -0800, Evelyn-Singapore
wrote:

Hi! Recently I noted that my files saved in MS office is no longer in the
usual black font. It sometimes becomes blue font. Is there any meaning to
the files that are in blue? Why is there a change in font color when I did
not make any change in my settings.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

I think you mean that the filename, displayed in Windows Explorer, is shown
in blue. This means that the file has been compressed: this is a Windows
setting, and has nothing to do with Word, and has no effect on the document
when re-opened.

"Evelyn-Singapore" wrote in
message ...
Hi! Recently I noted that my files saved in MS office is no longer in the
usual black font. It sometimes becomes blue font. Is there any meaning
the files that are in blue? Why is there a change in font color when I did
not make any change in my settings.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Howeey Howeey is offline

I use the MVP's often and find their solutions very helpful. thanks
I did what you suggested and it worked.
However, i would like to know why it even happened in the first place. Yes I
did run Scan Disk, Disk-Clean-up, Defrag. etc, but it has never happened
before. Note I have owned PC computers since 1985.
The other question is how does one ever run "MS Disk Clean-up" without this
happening again.
thanks in advance.
--
Howeey

wrote:

Hi! Recently I noted that my files saved in MS office is no longer in the
usual black font. It sometimes becomes blue font. Is there any meaning to
the files that are in blue? Why is there a change in font color when I did
not make any change in my settings.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

When you run Disk Clean-Up, one of the options is "Compress files to save
space".

If it worries you, deselect that option next time.

Personally, I would leave it checked: it will save roughly half the disk
space, and your files will open faster.

On 7/2/07 5:04 AM, in article
, "Howeey"
wrote:

I use the MVP's often and find their solutions very helpful. thanks
I did what you suggested and it worked.
However, i would like to know why it even happened in the first place. Yes I
did run Scan Disk, Disk-Clean-up, Defrag. etc, but it has never happened
before. Note I have owned PC computers since 1985.
The other question is how does one ever run "MS Disk Clean-up" without this
happening again.
thanks in advance.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Howeey Howeey is offline

Please provide me with the exact Pathway as I could not find this under "Disk
Clean-up"
Also, why did it happen when it is never happened before to me in 22 years?
thanks

--
Howeey

wrote:

I use the MVP's often and find their solutions very helpful. thanks
I did what you suggested and it worked.
However, i would like to know why it even happened in the first place. Yes I
did run Scan Disk, Disk-Clean-up, Defrag. etc, but it has never happened
before. Note I have owned PC computers since 1985.
The other question is how does one ever run "MS Disk Clean-up" without this
happening again.
thanks in advance.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Howeey:

My ComputerSelect the DiskPropertiesToolsDisk Cleanup.

After it finishes its "analysis" it will present you with a dialog showing
how much space will be saved by taking each of the suggested actions.

One of those suggestions will be "Compress files...". Uncheck that option.

The option was new in Windows 2000, and is offered by default in Windows XP.
I think Windows OneCare has this ability: that may have been what did it.

Compressing files gets them down to as small as a quarter of their size (the
compression ratio depends on the kind of data in the file). For example,
JPEG won't compress at all, plain text will compress 70 per cent.

Normally you would compress everything you can within your "My Documents"
folder. Files will open much faster if they are compressed, because the
drive has to handle less data.

There are some restrictions on compressing other files: for example, if you
compress the boot loader, Windows won't start because the decompressor is
not available until Windows is running.

However, Windows XP is smart enough not to allow you to compress files it
needs to remain uncompressed. So I would leave it alone.

Hope this helps

On 10/2/07 5:38 AM, in article
, "Howeey"

Mailmerge template stephen Mailmerge 8 August 18th 06 02:19 PM
how do i restore word file to the last saved version? cris Microsoft Word Help 2 August 9th 06 11:43 PM
word saved a file as encoded and now I can't open it citiproperties Microsoft Word Help 3 July 10th 06 09:42 PM
I accidently saved over a file, how do I recover the original? BCoates Microsoft Word Help 2 April 5th 06 07:20 AM
MS WORD OPENING A PREVIOUSLY SAVED FILE Paul Joseph Microsoft Word Help 2 January 17th 06 07:38 PM