WWALKER

Default Page breaks in justifed text

I'm trying to prevent the "unjustifying" of text that occurs when a page
break is inserted on a page of justified text. That is to say, the last line
of text before the break autmatically changes to left justified when a break
is inserted. Any assitance is solving this issue is much appreciated!

Charles Kenyon

This is one of many reasons for not using manual page breaks. The workaround
suggested by Suzanne just goes to emphasize how cumbersome these things are.
It is much more effective to set the page size you want and let the text
flow into that size as appropriate. When you want to start a new page with a
new topic, use a heading style that is formatted for page break before (and
end the preceding paragraph with a paragraph mark).
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"WWALKER" wrote in message
I'm trying to prevent the "unjustifying" of text that occurs when a page
break is inserted on a page of justified text. That is to say, the last
line
of text before the break autmatically changes to left justified when a
break
is inserted. Any assitance is solving this issue is much appreciated!

My assumption was that WWALKER was using a manual page break for the usual
reason: in order to insert a full-page graphic on the next page. In such
cases, the break is necessary, as is the workaround. Additionally, if the
justified paragraph has a first-line indent, it will be necessary to apply
an unindented style to the first paragraph (really the remainder of a
paragraph) on the page following the illustration.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"WWALKER" wrote in message
I'm trying to prevent the "unjustifying" of text that occurs when a page
break is inserted on a page of justified text. That is to say, the last

line
of text before the break autmatically changes to left justified when a
break
is inserted. Any assitance is solving this issue is much appreciated!

Klaus Linke

Hi Suzanne,

Wouldn't it be easier to position the picture relative to the page?
Haven't used that much, but it seemed to work fine.

If you don't want the text to wrap around the picture, I found that any =
large enough "distance to text" on the right does the trick.

Regards,
Klaus

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
My assumption was that WWALKER was using a manual page break for the =

usual
reason: in order to insert a full-page graphic on the next page. In =

such
cases, the break is necessary, as is the workaround. Additionally, if =

the
justified paragraph has a first-line indent, it will be necessary to =

apply
an unindented style to the first paragraph (really the remainder of a
paragraph) on the page following the illustration.
=20
--=20
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the =

newsgroup so
all may benefit.
=20
"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"WWALKER" wrote in message
I'm trying to prevent the "unjustifying" of text that occurs when =

a page
break is inserted on a page of justified text. That is to say, =

the last
=20
line
of text before the break autmatically changes to left justified =

when a
break
is inserted. Any assitance is solving this issue is much =

appreciated!

Klaus Linke

Just tried, and it seems to work fine whule there's some text (at least =
one line) on the page, but messes up when the picture fills the whole =
page.

Bummer! And sorry for doubting your expertise!!

Klaus

"Klaus Linke" wrote:
Hi Suzanne,
=20
Wouldn't it be easier to position the picture relative to the page?
Haven't used that much, but it seemed to work fine.
=20
If you don't want the text to wrap around the picture, I found that =

any=20

"WWALKER" wrote in message
I'm trying to prevent the "unjustifying" of text that occurs when =

a page
break is inserted on a page of justified text. That is to say, =

the last
=20
line
of text before the break autmatically changes to left justified =

when a
break
is inserted. Any assitance is solving this issue is much =

appreciated!

WWALKER

Suzanne,
Your assumption was indeed correct -- I am attempting to insert full page
graphics in my document. I apologize for not making that clear to everyone
at the outset.
Unfortunately, I have yet to get your wordaround to produce the desired
result. As I'm sure the error is with my implementation (or lack thereof!),
I will step through the process with the hope that you can identify the
problem:

1. Insert line break at end of last line on page using shift+enter. This
results in a small left-pointing arrow and the justification for that line is
lost.
2. Insert page break at beginning of next line after the line break arrow.
This results in a blank page (as desired) as well as a paragraph mark above
the break line. In this instance, the paragraph mark happens to be on the
bottom of the previous page.
3. Highlight paragraph mark and change font size to 1pt. This step I
believe I am performing incorrectly as it does nothing to correct the
justificaton problem on the previous line as I expect. Thus, can you
elaborate on your instruction to "format the paragraph mark as 1 pt or
hidden"?

Thank you all for you time!!

"WWALKER" wrote in message
I'm trying to prevent the "unjustifying" of text that occurs when a page
break is inserted on a page of justified text. That is to say, the last

line
of text before the break autmatically changes to left justified when a
break
is inserted. Any assitance is solving this issue is much appreciated!

It's step 1 that I don't understand the results of, but let's back up a bit.
I'm assuming that you have already inserted a paragraph break at the end of
the last line on page 1, followed by a page break. This leaves a partial
paragraph, arbitrarily split, on page 1. After you have inserted another
page break on page 2, you'll have the remainder of that paragraph on page 3.

Now, when you insert a line break (Shift+Enter) immediately before the
paragraph break at the end of page 1, the last line of the paragraph should
be justified. If it is not, go to Tools | Options | Compatibility and make
sure that "Don't expand character spaces on the line ending Shift-Return" is
*not* checked. If that part is not working, then nothing you do afterward is
going to help.

Note that when you add the line break, you may find that the original "last
line" and the new "last line" that contains just a paragraph mark will
probably have moved to page 2. Not to worry; they'll move back when you have
formatted the paragraph mark.

In my experience, the Ctrl+Shift+H shortcut doesn't work to format the
paragraph mark. You actually have to go to Format | Font | Hidden. Select
just the paragraph mark and format it as Hidden. If you have trouble getting
it to "take," add a space before it and try again, selecting both space and
paragraph mark. It won't actually disappear until you hide nonprinting
characters, but when you do that, you should have a justified last line at
the bottom of page 1, an empty page 2, and the remainder of the paragraph on
page 3.

"WWALKER" wrote in message
I'm trying to prevent the "unjustifying" of text that occurs when a

page
break is inserted on a page of justified text. That is to say, the

last

line
of text before the break autmatically changes to left justified when

break
is inserted. Any assitance is solving this issue is much

appreciated!

A problem with text boxes and free space on the page [email protected] New Users 3 January 4th 05 10:39 PM
Continuous breaks convert to next page breaks Jennifer Hunt Microsoft Word Help 2 December 30th 04 06:45 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 03:49 PM
Unpredictable section breaks odd and even pages and page numbering Roy Stannard New Users 2 December 16th 04 03:38 PM