SueY128 SueY128 is offline
Junior Member

Default Page numbering in a template

I have created a template which is a table with 3 columns and 2 rows. The top row has the 3 columns and in the left column there are 3 Rich Text Content Controls for the user to enter info, in the center column is text that is unchangeable, and in the 3rd column there are 2 Rich Text Content Controls and the 3rd line there needs to show Page # of #. The 2nd row is one column and has one Rich Text Content Control for user entry. These 2 rows I have selected as column header so the info repeats on all pages. The problem is that I can't get the Page # of # to function, no matter what I do. The only place it has worked is if I put it in the footer. Client does not want it in the footer - it must be in the top row, 3rd column under the 2 Rich Text Content Controls. I am almost bleeding from knocking my head against the wall on this. Can the be made to work in this situation and how??

Any assistance in this will be greatly appreciated!

Sue
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Page X of Y makes use of two fields (a PAGE field and a NUMPAGES field).
Updating is simpler within headers and footers (as you have noticed). In
this case, the content control may complicate matters even further...

What you can do is update the fields by selecting them and pressing F9.
Alternatively, force an update by switching to Print Preview (Ctrl+F2) and
then return to your previous view (ESC). A third option is using a macro to
update fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SueY128" wrote in message

[...]

SueY128 SueY128 is offline
Junior Member

Thank you - will test that out and report back. The problem that I am experiencing is that it says page 1 of 2 on every page. Let me test and I will post again.

Sue
SueY128 SueY128 is offline
Junior Member

Ok - to be clear, yes, once I print the document I get Page 1 of 2 (in a 2 page document) on all pages. The page quantity is reporting correctly, it is the page number itself that sticks on 1. And to make it up date I actually have to print the document.

This is frustrating!

Sue
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Do post back with your results. :-)

One question, though: Are you seeing any issues at all with Page X of Y when
you insert it in the header or footer? In that case, the problem might be
with the printer driver. However, the problem (if it exists) may also be
complex and difficult to troubleshoot, as discussed at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/pagexofy.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SueY128" wrote in message

Thank you - will test that out and report back. The problem that I am
experiencing is that it says page 1 of 2 on every page. Let me test and
I will post again.

Sue

--
SueY128

SueY128 SueY128 is offline
Junior Member

Yes it works in the header or footer. It has something to do with being in the header rows I am sure. I put it in the header and send it to the client - again telling him that is the best I can do. Word is not always the easiest to work with when the results need to be exact. Appreciate the help.

Sue
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Wait a minute... Are you referring to header rows as in repeated headers in
a Word table? That adds even more factors to the mix.

Anyway, in Word, most fields don't update automatically. Within page headers
and footers, the situation is a bit better, though.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP