Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rhonda Rhonda is offline

Default Total Page Number Minus Number of Pages in Front Matter

I have a document with 4 pages of front matter (cover page and table of
contents) and then 42 pages of text in the body of the document. I have the
pages of the body numbered "Page X of Y", but the Y is the total pages of the
entire document (46) and I want it to represent Y minus the pages in the
front matter (42) i.e. I want all my body pages to actually say "Page 'X 'of
42" not "Page 'X' of 46". Of course I could manually enter the number 42 in
place of Y, but the document will eventually be updated and additional pages
will result so I want it automated. (If the solution involves fields and
formulas, go slow I have no idea how to create new ones!)

Thanks so much!
Rhonda
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Total Page Number Minus Number of Pages in Front Matter

Hi Rhonda,

I'd be happy to help you with this! Here are the steps to automatically update the page numbers in your document to reflect the total number of pages in the body of the document:
  1. Click on the page where you want to start the page numbering for the body of the document (i.e. after the front matter).
  2. Go to the "Insert" tab and click on "Page Number" in the "Header & Footer" section.
  3. Select the location where you want the page number to appear (e.g. top of page, bottom of page, etc.).
  4. Choose the format you want for the page number (e.g. "Page X of Y").
  5. In the "Design" tab that appears after you've inserted the page number, click on "Page Number" and then "Format Page Numbers".
  6. In the "Number Format" section, select "Start at" and enter "1" (or whatever number you want to start the page numbering at for the body of the document).
  7. Click "OK" to close the "Format Page Numbers" dialog box.
  8. Go to the page where the front matter ends and the body of the document begins.
  9. Click on the page number to select it.
  10. Press "Ctrl+F9" to insert a field.
  11. Type "NUMPAGES" inside the field brackets (i.e. { }).
  12. Press "F9" to update the field and display the total number of pages in the document.
  13. Subtract the number of pages in the front matter from the total number of pages in the document (e.g. if you have 46 total pages and 4 pages of front matter, the result would be 42).
  14. Click on the page number again to select it.
  15. Press "Ctrl+F9" to insert another field.
  16. Type "={NUMPAGES}-4" (or whatever number you got from step 13) inside the field brackets.
  17. Press "F9" to update the field and display the correct number of pages for the body of the document.

That's it! Now your page numbers should automatically update to reflect the correct number of pages in the body of the document, even if you add or remove pages later on. Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you know the number of pages in the front matter (and it will not
change), then you can use Page { Page } of { = { NumPages } - x }, where x
is the number of pages in the front matter.

If not, then you insert a bookmark on the last page of the document and use
a PageRef field to reference the page number of that bookmark instead of the
NumPages field.

http://word.mvps.org

"Rhonda" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

There are two possible situations:

- If the document contains only two sections (separated by one section
break), then you can simply change the field that supplies the total. If you
right-click the total number and choose Toggle Field Codes, you'll see the
field code {NUMPAGES}. Change that to {SECTIONPAGES} and press F9 (or
right-click and choose Update Field) to show the result. This will now be
the total number of pages in the section that contains the body.

- If the body of the document consists of two or more sections (not counting
the frontmatter section), then the SECTIONPAGES field won't work -- it would
show the total of pages in the current section, which would change part way
through the body. Instead, first insert a bookmark in the last paragraph of
the document -- I suggest naming it LastPage. Now right-click the total
number in the page numbering and choose Toggle Field Codes. Replace the word
NUMPAGES with this:

PAGEREF LastPage

(If you named the bookmark something else, use that in the field code.)
Press F9 to update the field, which will show the page number of the last
page in the body.

There's a minor difficulty with this: It's easy to overwrite and delete the
bookmark, in which case the field will display "Error! Bookmark not
defined." Then you have to go back to the end of the document and insert the
bookmark again. It's also easy to add more pages after the bookmark, in
which case the page numbering will be wrong, and you'll have to move the
bookmark (which you do by going to the end of the document and inserting the
same bookmark, which automatically deletes the old one). It helps to go into
the Options dialog and check the box to display bookmarks at all times.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Rhonda wrote:
I have a document with 4 pages of front matter (cover page and table
of contents) and then 42 pages of text in the body of the document.
I have the pages of the body numbered "Page X of Y", but the Y is the
total pages of the entire document (46) and I want it to represent Y
minus the pages in the front matter (42) i.e. I want all my body
pages to actually say "Page 'X 'of 42" not "Page 'X' of 46". Of
course I could manually enter the number 42 in place of Y, but the
document will eventually be updated and additional pages will result
so I want it automated. (If the solution involves fields and
formulas, go slow I have no idea how to create new ones!)

Thanks so much!
Rhonda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Virginia Wilber Virginia Wilber is offline

Default Correcting the Total Number of Pages when have TOC which you don't wantincluded

I read your reply and I am unable to get it to work even though I didn't have a problem getting this to work in Word 2003.

I select Page Number from the Header/Footer portion of the toolbar and get:

Page 1 of 159

Then I use Alt F9 to see what it actually says and get:

Page { PAGE } of { NUMPAGES }

as you said (I'm using Word 2007). Then I change it to read:

Page { PAGE } of { = { NUMPAGES } - 3 } as specified -- inserting the "= {" and "} - 3" within the NUMPAGES original braces.

However, the results are not correct. Below is what I get when I use Alt F9 to return to "regular" view.

Page 1 of

So next I change it to read:

Page { PAGE } of { = { NUMPAGES } - 3 } as specified -- inserting the "{ = " and " - 3 }" outside the original NUMPAGES braces.

Again the results are not correct. Below is what I get when I use Alt F9 to return to "regular" view.

Page 1 of { = 159 - 3 }

I certainly hope you can help.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

If you know the number of pages in the front matter (and it will notchange),
15-Apr-10

If you know the number of pages in the front matter (and it will not
change), then you can use Page { Page } of { = { NumPages } - x }, where x
is the number of pages in the front matter.

If not, then you insert a bookmark on the last page of the document and use
a PageRef field to reference the page number of that bookmark instead of the
NumPages field.

http://word.mvps.org

On Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:07 AM
Rhonda wrote:

Total Page Number Minus Number of Pages in Front Matter
I have a document with 4 pages of front matter (cover page and table of
contents) and then 42 pages of text in the body of the document. I have the
pages of the body numbered "Page X of Y", but the Y is the total pages of the
entire document (46) and I want it to represent Y minus the pages in the
front matter (42) i.e. I want all my body pages to actually say "Page 'X 'of
42" not "Page 'X' of 46". Of course I could manually enter the number 42 in
place of Y, but the document will eventually be updated and additional pages
will result so I want it automated. (If the solution involves fields and
formulas, go slow I have no idea how to create new ones!)

Thanks so much!
Rhonda

On Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:02 AM
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

If you know the number of pages in the front matter (and it will notchange),
If you know the number of pages in the front matter (and it will not
change), then you can use Page { Page } of { = { NumPages } - x }, where x
is the number of pages in the front matter.

If not, then you insert a bookmark on the last page of the document and use
a PageRef field to reference the page number of that bookmark instead of the
NumPages field.

http://word.mvps.org

On Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:20 AM
Jay Freedman wrote:

There are two possible situations:- If the document contains only two sections
There are two possible situations:

- If the document contains only two sections (separated by one section
break), then you can simply change the field that supplies the total. If you
right-click the total number and choose Toggle Field Codes, you will see the
field code {NUMPAGES}. Change that to {SECTIONPAGES} and press F9 (or
right-click and choose Update Field) to show the result. This will now be
the total number of pages in the section that contains the body.

- If the body of the document consists of two or more sections (not counting
the frontmatter section), then the SECTIONPAGES field will not work -- it would
show the total of pages in the current section, which would change part way
through the body. Instead, first insert a bookmark in the last paragraph of
the document -- I suggest naming it LastPage. Now right-click the total
number in the page numbering and choose Toggle Field Codes. Replace the word
NUMPAGES with this:

PAGEREF LastPage

(If you named the bookmark something else, use that in the field code.)
Press F9 to update the field, which will show the page number of the last
page in the body.

There is a minor difficulty with this: it is easy to overwrite and delete the
bookmark, in which case the field will display "Error! Bookmark not
defined." Then you have to go back to the end of the document and insert the
bookmark again. it is also easy to add more pages after the bookmark, in
which case the page numbering will be wrong, and you will have to move the
bookmark (which you do by going to the end of the document and inserting the
same bookmark, which automatically deletes the old one). It helps to go into
the Options dialog and check the box to display bookmarks at all times.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

LINQ With Strings
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...h-strings.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Are you using Ctrl+F9 to insert the braces? The easiest way to do this is to
type = before the { NUMPAGES } field and -3 after it, then select the entire
expression and press Ctrl+F9.

http://word.mvps.org

Jay Freedman wrote:

[...]

so
all may benefit.

Rhonda wrote:

LINQ With Strings
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...h-strings.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] gabbypownallbrown@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:07:02 AM UTC-4, Rhonda wrote:
I have a document with 4 pages of front matter (cover page and table of contents) and then 42 pages of text in the body of the document. I have the pages of the body numbered "Page X of Y", but the Y is the total pages of the entire document (46) and I want it to represent Y minus the pages in the front matter (42) i.e. I want all my body pages to actually say "Page 'X 'of 42" not "Page 'X' of 46". Of course I could manually enter the number 42 in place of Y, but the document will eventually be updated and additional pages will result so I want it automated. (If the solution involves fields and formulas, go slow I have no idea how to create new ones!)Thanks so much!Rhonda

YOU ARE A GENIUS. THE ANSWER TO MY X of Y was I wasn't using Ctrl+F9 to make brackets. Thank you.