Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heidi Heidi is offline

Default insert footers in normal template

Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of any new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot but
there must be a way of doing this.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Create a specific template which includes the FILENAME field in the
footer and have users create their documents based on that template.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Heidi" wrote in message
Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of
any new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot
but there must be a way of doing this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heidi Heidi is offline

"Heidi" wrote:

Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of any new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot but
there must be a way of doing this.

Thanks I had thought of that but that requires a specific action by users,
is there no way to set it up automatically with any 'new document' ie when
the user opens word or click on new doc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

An AutoNew macro could do it. You'd need to have that macro included in
every template the users use.

Record a new macro -- name it AutoNew -- and in a new document, go through
the steps of navigating to the footer area, inserting a {filename } field
(I'm assuming you'd want the name of the file they're creating), then
closing the footer area and returning to the beginning of the document to
begin writing/composing.

There are additional steps you could take to make sure that the field is
updated after the file is given a permanent name, so that it displays when
opened (e.g., an AutoOpen macro that navigates to the footer, updates the
field, then returns to the beginning for additional editing/writing/etc.).

If all of the templates users use are stored on a network server, this could
be fairly straightforward to accomplish (assuming no existing AutoOpen or
AutoNew macros). Simply use the Organizer (Tools - Templates and Add-ins -
Organizer) to copy the macro to the target templates.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Heidi" wrote in message

"Heidi" wrote:

Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of any
new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot
but
there must be a way of doing this.

Thanks I had thought of that but that requires a specific action by users,
is there no way to set it up automatically with any 'new document' ie when
the user opens word or click on new doc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Heidi Heidi is offline

"Heidi" wrote in message

"Heidi" wrote:

Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of any
new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot
but
there must be a way of doing this.

Thanks I had thought of that but that requires a specific action by users,
is there no way to set it up automatically with any 'new document' ie when
the user opens word or click on new doc

Thanks so much for your solution, I will give it a go now. I do appreciate your respectful and courteous reply.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can in fact insert a specific header/footer into Normal.dot, but it is
not recommended. Although the macros recommended by other posters may do
what you want, a better solution would be to create specific document
templates for the types of documents your users will create and save them in
the Workgroup Templates folder. What remains is a matter of user
education/training.

"Heidi" wrote in message
Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of any

new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot but
there must be a way of doing this.

aw13973 aw13973 is offline
Junior Member

i have been trying to insert a specific footer into Normal.dot, even if it is
not recommended.

so far unsuccessful

anybody have it work ?

suggestions ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post

"Heidi" wrote in message
Over a network I want all users to insert a filename in the footer of any

new
doc they open. I understand you cannot insert autotext into normal.dot but
there must be a way of doing this.
aw13973 aw13973 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw13973 View Post
i have been trying to insert a specific footer into Normal.dot, even if it is
not recommended.

so far unsuccessful

anybody have it work ?

suggestions ?