Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MGP

Default Document converted to an image

Can anyone explain how a Word document being worked on was converted into a
screen shot/graphic image of the document? This happened to a friend of
mine. He did not Undo whatever happened, and so he lost his doc - only the
image of it remained. He now knows that the command can be undone, but is
not sure how he made it happen in the first place - and it's happened again
since! I have not been able to find an answer in my own research. Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

I suspect it's something your friend is doing. Ask him to keep track of what
he's doing - your answer is in there.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"MGP" wrote in message
Can anyone explain how a Word document being worked on was converted into
screen shot/graphic image of the document? This happened to a friend of
mine. He did not Undo whatever happened, and so he lost his doc - only
the
image of it remained. He now knows that the command can be undone, but is
not sure how he made it happen in the first place - and it's happened
again
since! I have not been able to find an answer in my own research. Any
help
would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MGP

I realize that he did something to make the problem occur. I am trying to
figure out what that was. He does not have screen capture software and it
appears that it was a command that is present in Word itself. It is that
command that I am trying to locate. I was not previously aware of this
functionality in Word, but it obviously exists. Thanks.

"MGP" wrote in message
Can anyone explain how a Word document being worked on was converted into
screen shot/graphic image of the document? This happened to a friend of
mine. He did not Undo whatever happened, and so he lost his doc - only
the
image of it remained. He now knows that the command can be undone, but is
not sure how he made it happen in the first place - and it's happened
again
since! I have not been able to find an answer in my own research. Any
help
would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Everyone with Windows has screen capture abilities. It's built into that
Print Scren key.

Did he say that he's just working along and that suddenly it's a picture or
that he opens the file and now it's a picture?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

news

"MGP" wrote in message
Can anyone explain how a Word document being worked on was converted
into
screen shot/graphic image of the document? This happened to a friend
of
mine. He did not Undo whatever happened, and so he lost his doc - only
the
image of it remained. He now knows that the command can be undone, but
is
not sure how he made it happen in the first place - and it's happened
again
since! I have not been able to find an answer in my own research. Any
help
would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MGP

Following up to the two previous comments - To have used either of the
mentioned print options, an awful lot of keystrokes would have had to take
place, such that he should have realized what was happening at some point. I
believe he was running a spell check at the time and in an instant of
misplaced fingering, the entire document was instantly converted to a graphic
file. That file could be selected, then deleted, leaving only a blank page
behind. I am still inclined to think that there is some sort of obscure
functionality built into Word that would do this. I'll still hold out for
info on this! Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Assuming that "Typing replaces selection" is enabled (as it is by default),
Ctrl+A (Select All) coupled with striking any key will replace the entire
content of the document with the letter typed (or nothing, if it was
Backspace or Delete). How this would be converted to a picture, I have no
clue.