Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
WendyMc WendyMc is offline

Default Mailmerge - vanishing Query Data

Can anyone help me please....... I am trying to create a mail merge using an
Access Database Query. When I set up the link to the database Q there
appears to be no data there (and there is data when viewed in Access). If I
chose one of the tables or do a make table query and use this to perform the
mail merge it all works fine. But Why oh Why does it not work using the
original query? I have never seen this prolblem before and have used mail
merge for years.

Many thanks
Wendy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Does your query use wildcards? Specifically, does it use "?" and "*" ? If
so, and you are using Word 2002 or later, Word connects by default using OLE
DB which does not recognise those "old" wildcards, only the "new"
equivalents ("_" and "%" ).

If that's what it is, since it sounds like you have control over your
database, I suggest you copy your query, replace "?" by "_" and "*" by "%",
and use that one instead. NB, /Access/ won't recognise the "new" wildcards,
which are supposedly there to conform to SQL-92 syntax or some such, unless
you modify your database, and IMO it's not worth it, particularly if you
ever consider upgrading to Access 2007, which seems to have taken a step
back again on this front.

Peter Jamieson
"WendyMc" wrote in message
news
Can anyone help me please....... I am trying to create a mail merge using
an
Access Database Query. When I set up the link to the database Q there
appears to be no data there (and there is data when viewed in Access). If
chose one of the tables or do a make table query and use this to perform
the
mail merge it all works fine. But Why oh Why does it not work using the
original query? I have never seen this prolblem before and have used mail
merge for years.

Many thanks
Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Wendy,

There were some major changes to how mail merge functions back in Word 2002.
Which version of Word are you using now? And do you remember which version you
were using when these queries worked?

Are these parameter queries (that prompt you for input) by any chance?

I am trying to create a mail merge using an
Access Database Query. When I set up the link to the database Q there
appears to be no data there (and there is data when viewed in Access). If I
chose one of the tables or do a make table query and use this to perform the
mail merge it all works fine. But Why oh Why does it not work using the
original query? I have never seen this prolblem before and have used mail
merge for years.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
WendyMc WendyMc is offline

Million thanks for this Peter, I appreicate you taking the time to respond to
my plea! I have done exactly as you suggested and it is all now working.
Thanks again
Wendy

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Does your query use wildcards? Specifically, does it use "?" and "*" ? If
so, and you are using Word 2002 or later, Word connects by default using OLE
DB which does not recognise those "old" wildcards, only the "new"
equivalents ("_" and "%" ).

If that's what it is, since it sounds like you have control over your
database, I suggest you copy your query, replace "?" by "_" and "*" by "%",
and use that one instead. NB, /Access/ won't recognise the "new" wildcards,
which are supposedly there to conform to SQL-92 syntax or some such, unless
you modify your database, and IMO it's not worth it, particularly if you
ever consider upgrading to Access 2007, which seems to have taken a step
back again on this front.

Peter Jamieson
news