short and sweet

Default printing labels

when I try to print labels in Word the address "creeps" down so that, by the
third label, the address is spread over two labels. I have taken out the
bottom "paragraph marker", but that doesn't seem to help. Also although my
Word "document" is set in single line-spacing, the labels appear to be in
1.5- or two-line-spacing.
Jezebel

I don't understand. Since Word 97 (my first) continuing to
Word 2003, when using mail merge or simply printing the
same address on a sheet of labels. You select the Avery
Label product code number. And take the worry out of the
entire process. Word 2003 provides for 211 Avery product
codes and 15 other manufacturers.

Word does this by creating a table with the row height set to the label
pitch. (Have a look at the label Customize function or switch on table
gridlines to see what's happening). The process can go wrong if a) you
create your own and get the measurements wrong, or b) you buy el-cheapo
non-brand labels that claim to be equivalent of one of the standards, but
are manufactured differently -- most commonly, the label is the right size,
but the gap *between* rows of labels is slightly different.

And as an off-the-wall possibility I once saw a laser printer that had had a
toner cartridge leak into the works. The result was paper slippage during
printing, so the paper would get progressively out of sync with the image
drum. This would have the same effect.

Graham Mayor

There are a couple more issues to consider also.

1. Check that the printer driver and the document are using the same paper
size and that there is no zoom set in the print options
2. If you have set a header at any time in normal.dot there will be an
unwanted paragraph mark in the header that will throw out the alignment.
Rename normal.dot to oldnormal.dot temporarily and see if that effects an
improvement.

It should be noted also that it has always been possible to have label
outlines that did not exactly match the printed result and which required
some fine tuning, because Word is a slave to the printer driver, and the
vagaries of printer drivers are such that they do not format documents
identically.

Jezebel wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jenn jenn is offline

We have had this same exact problem and have experienced it with Corel Word
Perfect as well as MS Word! Have tested it on many printers as well & they
all do the same exact thing, even when printing to a xerox copier. Have not
yet been able to find a solution.

Jezebel wrote:
[...]

print labels only john Microsoft Word Help 2 December 16th 04 07:56 AM
Change labels to envelopes Jugglertwo Microsoft Word Help 1 December 6th 04 06:24 PM
Labels Jeana Microsoft Word Help 2 December 2nd 04 11:03 PM
preview of labels in Word do not show outline of labels anymore makingfaces Microsoft Word Help 2 December 1st 04 01:32 PM
Where do I make mailing list for printing on labels? Annie Miami Microsoft Word Help 2 November 26th 04 08:14 AM