How do I get compatibility mode when opening .doc files in Word 20

Old August 31st 07, 08:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl

Default How do I get compatibility mode when opening .doc files in Word 20

I just installed word 2007. I cannot open .doc in word 2007. When I open from
the file menu, compatibility mode does not turn on. I get a pop up box
titlled file conversion - file name. I have three radio button options:
windows defualt or MS-Dos or other encoding. Have I missed something?? I
hope there is a simple answer.
--
CC
Old September 1st 07, 08:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The compatibility mode is an integral part of the application related to the
file converter installed to maintain backward compatibility with Word
document format. Problem is, that if Word does not recognize the format it
will pop up a box asking you to confirm. What happens if you merely select
the default setting offered to you (regardless of what you see in the
display window)? If you get garbage, the indications are that the document
is corrupt or not a Word document.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old September 4th 07, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl

Default How do I get compatibility mode when opening .doc files in Wor

Thanks for the response. I am able to open the same docs in Word 2002 without
any problem. So the docs are not corrupt. I am still stuck....

--
CC