Jeff Layman

Default Problem of rows not breaking solved

I have just spent several hours trying to work out why a table behaved badly
in an awkward Word document (W2002). I hope that the following will help
anyone else with this particularly puzzling problem.

I originally created the 2 x 2 table in a blank document. The top row was a
header row; the other row could have as many lines of text as needed such
that it broke, and some text appeared in the row on a new page (with the
first row as the header row appearing on the top of the second row). The
table was set up correctly - "Allow row to break across pages"; table Text
wrapping -"none"; cell options - "wrap text". The text paragraphs in the
row had "Keep with next" and "Keep lines together" unchecked.

As soon as the whole table was copied and pasted into the awkward document,
the first row remained on one page, with the second row (and the first row
as its header) on the second page. The second row, however, did not break
but went straight through the second page footer and appeared as a
completely filled black column on the top half or so of the third page. No
text was visible on that third page. I made sure that the table and
paragraph properties were the same as the original document, but it made no
difference.

I deleted all the text (cntl-A, del) in the second document, and repasted
the table. It still behaved wrongly. There was nothing obvious in page
setup, and suspicion fell on the only thing left - a page number field in
the footer. This was deleted, but made no difference to the the table. But
I noticed the page number was surrounded by an invisible frame. When that
was deleted, the table behaved perfectly! So the frame was the culprit.
The frame properties we-

Text wrapping - around
Size: width and height - auto
Horizontal: position right - Relative to margin - 0
Vertical: position 0 - Relative to paragraph
Move with text was checked, Lock anchor was not.

Only changing the vertical position away from "relative to paragraph" to
"Relative to page" or "relative to margin" had any effect, and allowed the
table to behave correctly. Unfortunately, the page number position was then
in the wrong place.

Can any of the MVPs explain what is going on here? It took me ages to solve
this problem (the KB had the "row not breaking" problem mentioned in W97,
but not Word 2002; in any case the proposed workaround didn't...). I still
can't work out why the vertical position of the frame has any effect on the
row.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)