Beaner_Teach

Default After a column break, why does the next column double space?

I am making a list of words (spelling test). Once I insert a column break,
the new column of words automatically double spaces. I can't seem to find the
fix in the knowledge base or help topics in Word.
Stefan Blom

Select the words that appear to be double-spaced, and on the Format
menu, click Paragraph. Verify that Line Spacing is actually set to
"Single", and that Spacing Before and After are both set to zero.
Click OK.

Also, click Page Setup on the File menu. Click the Layout tab. Make
sure Vertical Alignment is set to "Top". Click OK.

Do either of these suggestions solve the problem?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Beaner_Teach" wrote in
message ...
I am making a list of words (spelling test). Once I insert a column

break,
the new column of words automatically double spaces. I can't seem to

find the
fix in the knowledge base or help topics in Word.

Beaner_Teach

Thanks for your suggestions, but they don't solve the problem. I checked both
areas that you suggested and they were set as you had indicated they needed
to be. It's really a minor fix, but I wanted to see if there was a setting
that I was missing in the program somewhere.

I did get creative and tried to do a "shift-enter" after the first item in
the second column. That didn't work either.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Select the words that appear to be double-spaced, and on the Format
menu, click Paragraph. Verify that Line Spacing is actually set to
"Single", and that Spacing Before and After are both set to zero.
Click OK.

Also, click Page Setup on the File menu. Click the Layout tab. Make
sure Vertical Alignment is set to "Top". Click OK.

Do either of these suggestions solve the problem?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Beaner_Teach" wrote in
message ...
I am making a list of words (spelling test). Once I insert a column

break,
the new column of words automatically double spaces. I can't seem to

find the
fix in the knowledge base or help topics in Word.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QmVhbmVyX1RlYWNo?=,

I am making a list of words (spelling test). Once I insert a column break,
the new column of words automatically double spaces.

Do you have the non-printing characters displayed on-screen? The one thing
that occurs to me is that there are lots of spaces after the words, forcing
what looks like double-spacing...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Stefan Blom

What happens if you remove the column break? Does the extra spacing
disappear?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Beaner_Teach" wrote in
message ...

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Beaner_Teach

Cindy and Stefan,

I apologize because I failed to include one piece of information that I now
realize solves the problem. I was beginning the list by making it a number
list.

After reading your questions, I realized you were really checking every
detail. I even started new documents to make sure I was not adding spaces.
Then, I had an epiphany. I started the list without making it a numbered
list. When I placed the column break and continued on, the list remained
single spaced. Once I applied two columns through the format menu, everything
came out rosy. Then, I highlighted both columns and made them a numbered
list. It looks perfect.

Thank you for helping to answer this question!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?QmVhbmVyX1RlYWNo?=,

I am making a list of words (spelling test). Once I insert a column break,
the new column of words automatically double spaces.

Do you have the non-printing characters displayed on-screen? The one thing
that occurs to me is that there are lots of spaces after the words, forcing
what looks like double-spacing...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

FWIW, you could add zillions of spaces and they would just pile up outside
the right margin unless you enable the Compatibility Option to "Wrap
trailing spaces to the next line."

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi ?B?QmVhbmVyX1RlYWNo?=,

I am making a list of words (spelling test). Once I insert a column

break,
the new column of words automatically double spaces.

Do you have the non-printing characters displayed on-screen? The one thing
that occurs to me is that there are lots of spaces after the words,

forcing
what looks like double-spacing...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

CCloud

Thanks Beaner_Teach. That helps me too!

"Beaner_Teach" wrote:

Cindy and Stefan,

I apologize because I failed to include one piece of information that I now
realize solves the problem. I was beginning the list by making it a number
list.

After reading your questions, I realized you were really checking every
detail. I even started new documents to make sure I was not adding spaces.
Then, I had an epiphany. I started the list without making it a numbered
list. When I placed the column break and continued on, the list remained
single spaced. Once I applied two columns through the format menu, everything
came out rosy. Then, I highlighted both columns and made them a numbered
list. It looks perfect.

Thank you for helping to answer this question!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?QmVhbmVyX1RlYWNo?=,

I am making a list of words (spelling test). Once I insert a column break,
the new column of words automatically double spaces.

Do you have the non-printing characters displayed on-screen? The one thing
that occurs to me is that there are lots of spaces after the words, forcing
what looks like double-spacing...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Stefan Blom

I'm glad you found a solution. I cannot reproduce the problem, though.
Does it occur with other documents or only with the current one? You
may want to try the fixes suggested in the article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Beaner_Teach" wrote in
message ...
[...]

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?QmVhbmVyX1RlYWNo?=,

I am making a list of words (spelling test). Once I insert a

column break,
the new column of words automatically double spaces.

Do you have the non-printing characters displayed on-screen? The

one thing
that occurs to me is that there are lots of spaces after the

words, forcing
what looks like double-spacing...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 8

2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow

question or