Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cmc cmc is offline

Default What is a Tag in the Content Control Properties dialog box?

In the Content Control Properties dialog box for a particular form control
such as the rich text form control, there are two entries: Name and Tag. I
can understand what name is, but what is tag? If I enter text here, where
does it go and what does it do? I imagine it's something to do with XML, but
could someone please clarify?

Thanks!
--
cmc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The tag is strictly for use by macros and programs. The only place in
the user interface where it's visible is in that dialog.

The purpose is to help a program to distinguish between different
controls that may have the same name (strictly speaking, the Title),
or to hold any other metadata about the control that your application
needs. The VBA help describes the tag this way:

"The Tag property is different from the Title property in that a tag
is never displayed while a user edits a document. Instead, developers
can use it to store a value for programmatic manipulation while the
document is opened."

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman