Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob Walker

Default normal.dot template is in use by another word session

We have twenty or so machines installed on a win2k sbs network, most if not
all use word either 2003 basic edition or xp. The problem occurs with just
one machine which is the most used for word in that when autotext is saved
into the normal.dot on shutdown word will prompt `changes have been made to
the normal.dot template, do you want to save these changes' or `changes have
been made that affect the global template, do you want to save theses
changes'. Both of these seem like reasonable questions but when we answer yes
to whichever one is there we then get told `the normal.dot template is in use
by another word session, do you want to save the changes anyway.' Obviously
if we answer no all of the changes are lost but if we answer yes then we are
told 'the document is read only or is write protected' and we are then given
a save as screen. We can save the document under another name and then copy
the autotext entries back to the normal.dot but this is a nuisance.
The normal.dot template is stored locally in the default location and no
other system is accessing the templates on this machine.

Any help or advice you can give would be appreciated.

Regards

Bob Walker