Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bobb Bobb is offline

Default Mail Merge Dropping Leading Zeroes

Using Excel 2007 and Word 2007, I created a mail list in Excel formatting the
5-digit zipcodes as ZIPCODES and the 9-digit zipcodes as ZIPCODE+4. When I
previewed and printed the merged data, I saw the zipcodes with a leading zero
had the zero truncated (ie 02035 printed as 2035) and the 9-digit zipcode
printed as a 0. I temporarily resolved the problem by changing all 0-prefixed
zipcodes with '0 to make it a text field. I defined the 9-digit field as TEXT
also. Anyone else encounter this problem? Any suggestions how I can fix this?
Thanks in advance for any advice given..
--
Bob B
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"BobB" wrote in message
Using Excel 2007 and Word 2007, I created a mail list in Excel formatting
the
5-digit zipcodes as ZIPCODES and the 9-digit zipcodes as ZIPCODE+4. When I
previewed and printed the merged data, I saw the zipcodes with a leading
zero
had the zero truncated (ie 02035 printed as 2035) and the 9-digit zipcode
printed as a 0. I temporarily resolved the problem by changing all
0-prefixed
zipcodes with '0 to make it a text field. I defined the 9-digit field as
TEXT
also. Anyone else encounter this problem? Any suggestions how I can fix
this?
Thanks in advance for any advice given..
--
Bob B

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bobb Bobb is offline

I found Graham's website shortly after posting question. I printed his 19
page PDF file and applied his suggestions. Then I tried typing in the
IF-Then-Else solution. It worked for the Zip + 4 entry, but the zipcodes
under 10000 are still coming up as 4 digits. I tried using the Rules on the
Ribbon to enter the If-Then-Else, but that was a failure. So I manually typed
the code. I seem to recall that under Word 2002 it was easier to enter
MERGEFIELD entries. I'm not doing this correctly because I see others have
had their success noted on other posts. I'm merging labels only, a task I
have performed with prior versions of Word.
--
Bob B

"BobB" wrote in message
Using Excel 2007 and Word 2007, I created a mail list in Excel formatting
the
5-digit zipcodes as ZIPCODES and the 9-digit zipcodes as ZIPCODE+4. When I
previewed and printed the merged data, I saw the zipcodes with a leading
zero
had the zero truncated (ie 02035 printed as 2035) and the 9-digit zipcode
printed as a 0. I temporarily resolved the problem by changing all
0-prefixed
zipcodes with '0 to make it a text field. I defined the 9-digit field as
TEXT
also. Anyone else encounter this problem? Any suggestions how I can fix
this?
Thanks in advance for any advice given..
--
Bob B

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bobb Bobb is offline

There must be gremlins running amok in my software. I went back to my mail
merge just entering the zip code using the Insert Rule from the Ribbon. I
followed Graham's advice . This time it worked. So I added all the other
pieces of the address and it still worked. I cannot figure out what I did
differently one hour ago. I'm going to make one more test from scratch and
when it works, save three copies of the result so I never, ever have to go
through this again.
--
Bob B

Removing Leading Zeroes Jerry Tables 1 February 12th 08 09:57 PM
My zip code field on the mail merge drops leading zeroes, why? PETEinBOSTON Mailmerge 1 March 2nd 07 04:01 PM
dropping leading zeros in mail merge Jim Mailmerge 3 June 17th 05 07:02 AM
Mail Merge dropping leading zeroes from the zip code lbradsha@erols Mailmerge 1 May 12th 05 04:50 PM
Mail Merge Dropping leading zeros richard via OfficeKB.com Mailmerge 1 February 4th 05 10:58 PM