George

Default Tabs in html document change when the document is saved. Remedy?

Often, the tabs (say in a list of itmes) I put into an html document change
when I save the document or upload it to a website.

Is there a way to fix this, to make sure that the original tabs remain as
originally done?

The workaround I have been using is to select all and then clear all tabs
and save. That works - but only temporarily. This is a real nuisance.

GC

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi George,

You didn't mention the version of Word you're using
or a sample of the data format, but basically
there are no tab settings in HTML, for columnar data
although there is HTML coding for lists and Cascading
Style Sheets (CSS) can create a tab style display
when viewed in a browser, while saving as a Filtered
web page from Word will replace the tabs/styling with
a series of 'nonbreakspace' (&NBSP) HTML characters.

You may want to look at putting the data in a table
(you can turn off all of the visible cell/table borders)
as an alternate method.

Do you have a URL for a website page where you're seeing
the behavior?
=========

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

George

Thanks, Bob.

I have Word 2002 in MS Office XP (2002).

Here are a couple of URLs that show the problem:

http://www.bergen.edu/Faculty/gcronk/1tests_1.htm

http://www.bergen.edu/Faculty/gcronk/1tests_2.htm

1tests_1.htm (listing at bottom) is the way I WANT it to be.

1tests_2.htm is what happens when I save and re-access this kind of document
(the way I DON't want it to be).

Any solutions?

Thanks, again.

GC

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi George,

When I opened the documents for editing in MS Word
via the Internet Explorer File menu it appears to
be the 'bullet and numbering' definitions that
you have set for the bulleted lists that are causing
the problem, including setting a hard tab at 1.05".

If you select the bulleted list, right click and
choose Bullets and Numbering and reduce the large
indent and tab see if you get the result you want.

Note, that if this is going to be a public web page
(i.e. one where not everyone will be pulling these
documents back into Word) you may want to save your
original as a .doc file, then use File=Save as Web Page-Filtered
for the online edition). That will take out some of
Word's formatting but it will be more compatible with
various web browsers.

=======