Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Wainwright

Default Help with paragraph formatting

Hi
Firstly, apologies if this in the wrong group. I am using Word 2003 and
consider myself to be quite competent as I have been using Office since
version 4.2.

I am creating a document that is primarily to be viewed via a PC, and
although it prints correctly the formatting can do strange things on screen
e.g.

1) I have as a default 6pt before each paragraph, but in certain areas it
appears as though this is applied to each line within the paragraph. I have
revealed the formatting and compared it to paragraphs which do not display
this behaviour and they are identical...except for a small square 'bullet'
before affected portions when revealing the paragraph. I can find no mention
of this symbol in the help file (although I may be looking in the wrong
place)

2) Although the affected pages print correctly, the last few lines can
disappear! If I move the cursor down (via the arrow keys) it reappears?

I do have inline screen dumps using wrap tightly, but I don't think this is
the cause as non-affected paragraphs also wrap around the pictures

Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

TJ

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Wainwright

I have now found the meaning of the little 'black' bullet - 'Keep with next'
paragraph formatting. Turning it off though does not solve the original
problem.

"Tony Wainwright" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The black bullet may in this case signify "Keep with next," but it actually
can indicate KWN, "Keep lines together," "Page break before," or "Suppress
line numbering." For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm. For other
troubleshooting tools, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Wainwright

Thanks Suzanne - I have already read this. Unfortunately it doesn't explain
why certain paragraphs appear to have line spacing (top) on screen, where
the document is designed to be viewed, but not when printing. Any ideas on
why this should be so

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The black bullet may in this case signify "Keep with next," but it
actually
can indicate KWN, "Keep lines together," "Page break before," or "Suppress
line numbering." For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm. For other
troubleshooting tools, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Word displays Space Before even when it will be suppressed. If you have text
boundaries displayed, you'll see the Space Before extending above the top
margin of the document. Is this what you're talking about?

Rereading your initial post, however, it sounds as if you may have display
issues. Have you recently updated the display driver? If not, perhaps that
would help.

"Tony Wainwright" wrote in message
Thanks Suzanne - I have already read this. Unfortunately it doesn't

explain
why certain paragraphs appear to have line spacing (top) on screen, where
the document is designed to be viewed, but not when printing. Any ideas on
why this should be so

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The black bullet may in this case signify "Keep with next," but it
actually
can indicate KWN, "Keep lines together," "Page break before," or

"Suppress
line numbering." For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm. For other
troubleshooting tools, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Wainwright

My drivers are completely up to date Suzanne. I've attached an image so you
can see what the problem is
Thanks

Attached Images