Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Keith G Hicks Keith G Hicks is offline

Default hiding the envelope page in a template file

I've already been through http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm
and it was helpful but it's not giving me what I need.

I have an existing dot (note, "dot" not "doc") file for a client that a
previous programmer set up. It has a logo and return address in the
envelope template. I need to adjust the margins of the envelope and move the
logo up and over. I can do all that without any problem. I go to Tools-
Letters & Mailings - Envelopes & Labels and then click the "Add to
Document" button and make the appropriate changes. How do I hide the envelpe
from the template once I've updated its layout? I don't want it to appear
each time the template is used to create a document.

Thanks,

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you modified the Envelope Address and Envelope Return styles and checked
the "add to template" box, you can simply detach the envelope; but if you
changed the envelope margins, these will affect only the template in which
you change them, not the Envelopes and Labels dialog.

"Keith G Hicks" wrote in message
I've already been through
http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm
and it was helpful but it's not giving me what I need.

I have an existing dot (note, "dot" not "doc") file for a client that a
previous programmer set up. It has a logo and return address in the
envelope template. I need to adjust the margins of the envelope and move
the
logo up and over. I can do all that without any problem. I go to Tools-
Letters & Mailings - Envelopes & Labels and then click the "Add to
Document" button and make the appropriate changes. How do I hide the
envelpe
from the template once I've updated its layout? I don't want it to appear
each time the template is used to create a document.

Thanks,

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You may find http://www.gmayor.com/Alternative_Return_Addresses.htm a more
useful method of adding your envelope logo if you want to use the envelopes
and labels dialog (or create an envelope template setup exactly as you want
and create new documents - the envelopes - from that). To that end you could
detach the envelope from the template you already have to create two
templates - one for the letter the other for the envelopes.

Note that settings to the Envelope Address and Envelope Return paragraph
styles apply only to the current template. By default this will be
normal.dot, but if you want the settings to apply in your template you must
make them in that template.

Keith G Hicks wrote:
I've already been through
http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm and it was helpful
but it's not giving me what I need.

I have an existing dot (note, "dot" not "doc") file for a client that
a previous programmer set up. It has a logo and return address in the
envelope template. I need to adjust the margins of the envelope and
move the logo up and over. I can do all that without any problem. I
go to Tools- Letters & Mailings - Envelopes & Labels and then click
the "Add to Document" button and make the appropriate changes. How do
I hide the envelpe from the template once I've updated its layout? I
don't want it to appear each time the template is used to create a
document.

Thanks,

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Keith G Hicks Keith G Hicks is offline

I'll try this again. I think I wasn't clear enough.

I simply need to modify a dot template that someone else created. He passed
away several years ago. I cannot contact him for help as I'm not a medium
(LOL). I'm not very familiar with this side of MS Word. This dot file
(called ssforms.dot) is stored in each users "Documents and
Settings\user\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Word\Sta rtup" folder. I'm not
changing normal.dot (in which lots of other autotext was set up). All I'd
like to do is to remove a few blank lines that are above a logo in the
return address and ideally change the envelope margins. That's it. I figured
I can open up (not create a new doc from the template) the dot file, show
the envelope, edit it, somehow hide the envelope and then save and close the
dot file. I need some clear instructions on how this can be done. Any
specific help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

"Keith G Hicks" wrote in message
I've already been through

http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm
and it was helpful but it's not giving me what I need.

I have an existing dot (note, "dot" not "doc") file for a client that a
previous programmer set up. It has a logo and return address in the
envelope template. I need to adjust the margins of the envelope and move

the
logo up and over. I can do all that without any problem. I go to Tools-
Letters & Mailings - Envelopes & Labels and then click the "Add to
Document" button and make the appropriate changes. How do I hide the

envelpe
from the template once I've updated its layout? I don't want it to appear
each time the template is used to create a document.

Thanks,

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

That's not how it works. The envelope part of a template isn't mysteriously
hidden. Word uses styles to locate the envelope address and return address.
By default the settings are taken from normal.dot. If you are using a
letterhead template you can override the settings fom normal.dot by
modifying the two paragraph styles in the document template. The linked page
http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm explains how to do that.
The logo is probably placed using an autotext entry. You will probably have
to modify that entry to move the graphic. This is covered at