Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jakey Jakey is offline

Default Opening Word 2007 .docx file w/Word 2000

As I read the MS information, applying the "Microsoft Office Compatibility
Pack for 2007 Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint File Formats" fix should have
enabled .docx capability with my "Word 2000" program.

Unfortunately, I get an error message from Word 2000..."There was an error
opening the file".

Anyone else get their Word 2000 to work with .docx files?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Jakey,

If the document came in an email attachment, save it to your hard drive before trying to open it.

In Word, in Tools=Options=General, turn on
Confirm Conversions on Open

then use File=Open to try to open the .docx or .docm file. You should get a dialog box during open asking you to confirm that Word
recognizes it as a Word 2007 document. It is possible that file is damaged or if older, may have come from a prerelease version of
Word.

Create a new document in Word 2000 and use File=Save As,
do you have a choice to save as Word 2007 document (.docx)? If so, does it work?

=================

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jakey Jakey is offline

Thank you for taking the time to reply ;-)

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

If the document came in an email attachment,

It did

...save it to your hard drive before trying to open it.

I did that...saved it to desktop

In Word, in Tools=Options=General, turn on
Confirm Conversions on Open

My hopes are sky-high ;-)

then use File=Open to try to open the .docx or .docm file. You should get a dialog box during open asking you to confirm that Word
recognizes it as a Word 2007 document.

Actually, it didn't recognize it as any specific format. I get a "convert
file from:" drop-down menu of choices, 2 of which are "Word 2007 Document"
and "Word 2007 macro-enabled document." Both elicit the same error message,
"There was an error opening the file."

It is possible that file is damaged or if older, may have come from a prerelease version of Word.

Well, the file was generated on a just recently purchased computer in my
sister's grammar school where she teaches.

Create a new document in Word 2000 and use File=Save As,
do you have a choice to save as Word 2007 document (.docx)? If so, does it work?

I tried that but the only option it gives me is to "save as" a "Microsoft
Word 97 - 2003 Document (*.doc)". When I try to do that, I get an error
message stating "The converter failed to save the file." ;-(